Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ten years later, Calhoun at dusk

Date: 11/07/19 10:07
Ten years later, Calhoun at dusk
Author: santafe199

A few days ago I came to the realization that I’ve possessed digital photo technology for 10 years now and counting. In July 2009 lucky keno machine in Laurel, MT, a $600 win and a trip to Best Buy over in Billings netted me a $400 Nikon P90 “point & shoot”, plus a steak dinner just down the road at Outback. That’s the good news! The other good news is I was finally coming out of a railfan hibernation that lasted nearly 20 years (the bulk of my 23 year stint in Montana). Without getting into details, I did just what Art Gibson and a couple other railfan mentors warned me not to do when I first hired out in 1978. I let the drudgery of working for a RR put a sour spin on my railfan photography instincts. In the Rocky Mountains of Montana, no less! “Nuff-ced”…

One of the big selling points that finally got me into embracing digital was the idea it could shoot in so many situations that slide film just didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to tackle. As it happens my very first digital RR photo was taken in a low-light situation. I was westbound going up Bozeman Pass with my partner behind the throttle. I had my new Nikon “toy” with me. I had already shot through a series of throw-away test shots to familiarize myself with the P90. But now I knew I would be shooting my first official digital RR photograph some time on the that round trip. I had a notion to wait for something special or note-worthy. But when I saw a pattern of heavy storm clouds developing while going up the pass instinct just took over. I grabbed the P90 and personal history was made. So my very first digital RR photo was taken in an extreme low-light situation I NEVER would have attempted with K-64 in the camera. My education about the wonderful abilities of digital shooting was now off & running…

10 years later I don’t even think about it. Nor do I hesitate. Whenever I see an interesting photo-op I shoot the images and let the camera do what it can on a pass/fail basis. And very rarely does digital photography fail

1. Looking west from the assistant engineer’s (former head brakeman’s, nee fireman’s) seat of BNSF 5444 on 15,873 tons of unit grain train G-HISINB 9/03. Extra-board engineer Rich Klebenow is at the throttle on this storm-brewing afternoon of July 6, 2009 near Muir, MT. Yes Virginia… this is indeed a color image!

2. & 3. 10 years later UP 5394 is eastbound at Allen Road underneath the last dregs of daylight. It’s 8:03 PM on September 11, 2019 just east of Calhoun Bluffs, northeast of Topeka, KS.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/19 10:10 by santafe199.

Date: 11/07/19 10:37
Re: Ten years later, Calhoun at dusk
Author: tomstp

The first shot fooled me for just a bit thinking it was a black and white and then I noticed the slight tan colors in the photo.  Nice .

Date: 11/07/19 11:02

tomstp Wrote: > ... then I noticed the slight tan colors in the photo ...

Yeah, and there's the slightest hint of blue down & to the right of that kamikaze bug splat. Otherwise you'd think I converted it to B/W...

Lance/199

Date: 11/07/19 12:26
Author: Ritzville

Very cool shots!!

Larry

Date: 11/07/19 15:06
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Love #3 Photo, Great Night Shot for Sure!

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 11/07/19 17:21
Author: tomstp

Whether color or B&W, storm clouds can really jazz up a photo as so many of your have proven.

Date: 11/07/19 17:40
Author: DynamicBrake

santafe199 Wrote
1. Looking west from the assistant engineer’s
> (former head brakeman’s, nee fireman’s) seat
> of BNSF 5444 on 15,873 tons of unit grain train
> G-HISINB 9/03. Extra-board engineer Rich Klebenow
> is at the throttle on this storm-brewing afternoon
> of July 6, 2009 near Muir, MT. Yes Virginia…
> this is indeed a color image!
> Thanks for looking!
> Lance Garrels
> santafe199

Lance,
   Got your raincoats out?  It looks like you'll need them soon.  So, how heavy was it?  That's an impressive amount of tonnage on the drawbar.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 11/07/19 18:25

DynamicBrake Wrote: > ...  raincoats out ... how heavy was it? 
As I (vaguely) recall we drove out from underneath it. This is the east side climb up Bozeman, and so many times you'll see completely different weather after going through the tunnel and coming out on the west (down) side of the pass...

>... That's an impressive amount of tonnage on the drawbar ...
Well... it would be. But I guess I didn't mention the 3 still-fairly new 4300s on the rear end as helpers. At the top they cut off 'on the fly' and we just kept on rolling...

Lance/199

Date: 11/07/19 18:47
Author: DynamicBrake

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the 3 still-fairly new 4300s on the rear end as
> helpers. At the top they cut off 'on the fly' and
> we just kept on rolling...
>
> Lance/199

One of the coolest things to see..."cutting em loose on the fly." 

Kent in CArmel Valley

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds