Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Canyon Diablo

Date: 11/07/19 21:28
Canyon Diablo
Author: westfalen

I spent about three hours at the Canyon Diablo bridge today and got nine trains crossing the bridge and another as I was driving off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/19 21:32 by westfalen.

Date: 11/07/19 21:30
Re: Canyon Diablo

Canyon Diablo part 2.

Date: 11/07/19 21:31

Canyon Diablo part 3.

Date: 11/07/19 21:32

Canyon Diablo part 4.

The train that always comes along as you drive away.

Date: 11/07/19 21:41
Author: oyw

Great shots! How was the road out there?

Date: 11/07/19 21:48
Author: bakersfielddave

What was the local , a winslow based turn,or perhaps flagstaff or Kingman based?

Posted from Android

Date: 11/07/19 23:32

oyw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shots! How was the road out there
It barely qualifies as a road. Very rough with lots of rocks and pot holes. I don't think it has been maintained for some time even though it is shown on Google Maps as Indian Rte 6930. Maps show it continuing across the tracks and heading further north and joining state highway 99 but the crossing is now removed and it dead ends at the track with an unmarked 'road' going beside the track down to the bridge.

I had a Nissan Armada, I wouldn't venture out there in a regular car with low clearance.

Date: 11/08/19 05:53
Author: czephyr17

bakersfielddave Wrote:
> What was the local , a winslow based turn,or
> perhaps flagstaff or Kingman based?
>
> Posted from Android

I don’t know where it is based, but I saw this same local sitting on the mainline eastbound just west of Winslow yesterday afternoon (Thursday) at roughly 3:00 as I was driving along I-40.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/08/19 05:57
Author: texchief1

Nice set of shots!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 11/08/19 06:52
Author: Mudrock

I made it in and out of there with my Ford Focus but it was slow and steady both ways.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/19 07:25 by Mudrock.

Date: 11/08/19 07:08
Author: 3rdswitch

"Believe" it is Winslow to Seligman one day back the next local?
JB

Date: 11/08/19 07:26

Mudrock Wrote:
> I made it in and out of there with my Ford Focus
> but it wa slow and steady both ways.
>
>
>
>
> Chris
That would be the way to do it alright. I took about a half hour to drive the 3 miles from the Interstate. It had rained the day before and puddles and mud added to the fun.

Date: 11/08/19 07:34
Author: 99stang

I was in the neighborhood in April and decided not to try it in a rental SUV.... Kinda wish I had now, looking at thiese great pix.

Bob

Date: 11/08/19 12:53
Author: lapklub

I was out in AZ in Oct, but west of Kingman and headed west to Cajon for 4014.  Just didn't have time to get to Canyon Diablo, though we concidered it.  I did visit there a while back. 
On the rental SUV-It's a rental, that's what they are for!! You're not really going "off road" it's a road and it has a name.

Date: 11/08/19 16:17
Author: Hookdragkick

bakersfielddave Wrote:
> What was the local , a winslow based turn,or
> perhaps flagstaff or Kingman based?
>
> Posted from Android

Looks like an EB with the empty lumber and structural steel flats. Would of been the Flagstaff Local on their way to swap tonnage in Winslow. I'm not sure if the M WINKGM is still setting out Flag-tonnage at Railhead near the Purina plant. 

Date: 11/09/19 07:17
Author: WW

Slightly off-topic, but salient concerning the discussion including "rental SUVs"  If you rent a 4WD or AWD SUV, read your rental contract very carefully.  Most contain some nature of  language that VOIDS any rental car damage protection insurance provided by the rental company if the vehicle is taken off a "regularly maintained road or street."  That effectively means that your rental vehicle may not have any damage insurance if you drive it off of a maintained road.  It also pays to check your own vehicle insurance to see if it will kick in if the rental insurance will not pay for damages.  Some policies will cover it, others won't.

Finally, for those unfamiliar with 4WD's, even seemingly minor damage to running gear under the vehicle can quickly run into thousands of dollars or parts and labor to repair.  Also, scratching up the paint by driving through brush, euphemistically called "New Mexico pinstriping" in much of the Rockies and Southwest, can necessitate a vehicle being repainted-- that can also be an expensive proposition.

The irony is that rental car companies advertise  AWD and 4WD vehicles for their capabilities, but then essentially prohibit them for being used for some of those purposes by their customers.

Date: 11/09/19 07:25
Author: exhaustED

Thanks WW, definitely worth bearing in mind when getting to those wilder railfanning spots!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0644 seconds