Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Union Pacific Switcher Question - Los Angeles Area

Date: 11/11/19 10:18
Union Pacific Switcher Question - Los Angeles Area
Author: northridgeswitcher

What types of locomotives does the Union Pacific currently use in the Los Angeles area for local trains serving industries?

Same question, but in their Yards to breakdown and makeup trains?

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

Northridge Switcher

Date: 11/11/19 12:36
Re: Union Pacific Switcher Question - Los Angeles Area
Author: pdt

Mostly GP40's and 60's on locals.  There might be a few gensets still operating..idk.  also GP-38's get into the rotation at times.

The el segundo local was running with 6 axle power recently  SD60's/70's/big GE's, but IDK if that's changed.
 W colton has had SD-40's for the trimmers.

Date: 11/11/19 17:21
Author: erielackawanna

Echoing PDT somewhat, but locals today are mostly GP15-1s, GP38-2s, GP40-2s, and GP60s. The six-axles that were being used seem to have been pushed to other duties. As to switching, it seems like they're using wide-cab road power a lot. I keep seeing switch jobs with AC4400CWs lately.

Date: 11/12/19 05:04
Author: dbinterlock

All correct on the locomotive models mentioned above with the addition of SD40-2's. West end yard job YLA14 tends to use what is available including aformentioned AC4400. The SD40-2 seems to be more regular now.
My yard job, YLA51, gets all mentioned 4 axle units only as we can't use 6 axles on tight industrial trackage. The hated, reviled, and detested Gensets have been gone since April so it is so nice to become reacquainted with good 'ol GM power. (some hiccups do happen as most were in storage for a while and all are well worn).
My favorite was the UP1373, known on UP as a GP40N, but is nicely rebuilt (fresh paint!) ex-SP GP40P-2. Where the steam generator was is now a big air space.
On Monday, 11/11/19, I had UP 588, an ex-SP GP38-2 still with it's L shaped engineers window and real horn valve! No push button.
A bunch of railfans caught us at the LAJ diamonds - you guys here? Can you post your pictures?
Life is better without the Gensets by far, we be real railroading again!
dbinterlock

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/12/19 06:23
Author: erielackawanna

Forgot all about the SD40-2 at Aurant - d'oh.

I did take photos of the GP40P-2 near the LAJ crossing, but it was the 63R crew.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds