Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CN's M338, BNSF Aurora Sub (IL, WI)

Date: 11/16/19 22:55
CN's M338, BNSF Aurora Sub (IL, WI)
Author: cchan006

I found out while researching Canadian National's Dubuque Subdivision, that there are 2 regularly scheduled trains that run, the eastbound manifest M338, and the westbound counterpart M337. They run between Waterloo, IA to the west, and Gary, IN to the east.

There have been photos and videos posted of M338 running in daylight in recent years, but from Q&A about the Dubuque Sub from here and elsewhere on the Internet, it was difficult to predict exactly when it ran. So I decided to just wake up at dawn, grab a fast food breakfast, and went to CN's yard in Dubuque, IA to catch whatever showed up. I ended up catching half a dozen trains as mentioned in my report on Galena, IL earlier.

I heard "M338" mentioned in radio chatter while chasing an eastbound grain train, and it sounded like M338 was in Dubuque, mid-afternoon. After finishing the grain train chase at Apple River, I headed back west, hoping for an intercept. The EOTD "chirps" got clearer and more frequent between Scales Mound and Galena, so I pulled a U-turn and decided to nab the M338 at Scales Mound.

I had intercepted an eastbound ethanol train in the morning at Scales Mound, but the Allan Warehouse, the most interesting building along the ROW was against the light so I couldn't compose it. Luckily, clouds formed above me before M338 showed up, so I went to the north side of the tracks to include the Allan Warehouse (constructed in 1864) in the video in neutral light. Entire 630 axles is shown.

I continued to chase the M338 for future chase reference, and ended up in Freeport, IL around dusk, where it met the westbound M337 at West Junction.

- Scales Mound is the closest village to the official highpoint of Illinois, Charles Mound, elevation 1235'.

- Video of the entire M338, led by an all EMD consist with the loud K5LLA horn.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/16/19 23:17
Re: CN's M338, BNSF Aurora Sub (IL, WI)
Author: cchan006

Earlier in the day, I had chased a westbound CN grain train to Dubuque, to nab the train crossing the bridge across the Mississippi River. I documented a southbound BNSF tank car train (ethanol? oil?) running on the Illinois side of the river, while I was standing on the Iowa side, waiting for the CN train.

After going up the Fenelon Place Elevator in Dubuque and looking toward Wisconsin, I decided on a whim to see if I can catch a train running on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi. I quickly studied a map, and guessed on a location where I could get a view of the river, plus Lock and Dam #11, as a proof that I was in Wisconsin. I zoom into the Lock and Dam at the end of the video, after a southbound Z train rumbles by.

Looks like I pulled off a Tri-State Foaming experience. That's it for the report.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/17/19 05:35
Author: Bob3985

I love the video with the COOP barn in the background.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/17/19 06:39
Author: mojaveflyer

Looks like a pretty successful trip! Thanks for sharing....

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 11/17/19 21:18
Author: oyw

What a fun trip, thanks for sharing it with us!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds