Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > San Berdoo construction

Date: 11/17/19 08:52
San Berdoo construction
Author: hotrail

Haven't been past the depot in San Berrnardino for a while.  A lot has changed in the area, the surface streets, some of the freeway offramps, etc.  Also the double track Metrolink ROW from the ATSF depot to the transit center in downtown San Berdoo.  I was also impressed with the new (private) bridge over the tracks at the west end of the A-yard.  It looks pretty steep and the trucks I saw hauling containers on it were going pretty slow.  

What I was curiuos about is what is all the contstruction that is going on in the area near the 215 freeway, south of the area where the BNSF main lines make the big curve to swing around from east-west to run more north-south along hte 215, and east of where the Metrollink line to downtown breaks off to the southeast?  A number of old buildings are gone and there seems to be a lot of construction activity over there.  I tried searching it up on google but all i could find was stories and documents about the metrolink line to the transit center, and the new light rail line to Redlands and the university out there.

Anyone have any insigth?

Date: 11/17/19 09:07
Re: San Berdoo construction
Author: SCAX3401

I don't know of any large construction projects in that area.  The area you described is the area of the old Carousel Mall (original Central City Mall).  This facility is now completely closed and is awaiting some future reuse.  The area will probably be bulldozed completely and something new will be built in its place....that could start new month, next year or 10 years from now.  San Bernardino is really struggling to put out of the dumps its been in for the last 10+ years.

Date: 11/17/19 09:34
Author: callum_out

I would think, just from your description, that would be work on the Redlands line.

Out

Date: 11/17/19 10:04
Author: JohnM

what's scary is San Bernardino formed their redevelopment agency in 1956   

BNSF6400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know of any large construction projects in
> that area.  The area you described is the area of
> the old Carousel Mall (original Central City
> Mall).  This facility is now completely closed
> and is awaiting some future reuse.  The area will
> probably be bulldozed completely and something new
> will be built in its place....that could start new
> month, next year or 10 years from now.  San
> Bernardino is really struggling to put out of the
> dumps its been in for the last 10+ years.

Date: 11/17/19 10:10
Author: coach

Which is why Gov. Brown shut down the RD agencies.  Lots of talk, no action.  Let private money come in and do the job.  RDA's a huge waste of taxpayer dollars and time.  Good for ex-Gov. Brown. 

Date: 11/17/19 10:56
Author: BarstowRiff

I still remembeer 215 as "I" Street. Remember all those big houses along there?

Date: 11/17/19 12:22
Author: hotrail

I was referring to the area adjacent to the WEST side of 215, to south/east of the BNSF main where it makes the big curve east of the depot.  Maybe it was just a bunch of equipment for other projects stored in there. 

Really a bummer they severed 3rd street, i don't know how many time i chased a westbound down the hill and got off at 3rd to run straight over to the depot.   The depot is in beautiful shape, but it seems to be an area now where one has to use discretion, and be situationally aware if you're gonna get out of your car.

Date: 11/17/19 12:39
Author: PHall

There was construction on the 215 where they added car pool lanes in both directions which resulted in the freeway being widened.
Which is why the buildings that used to be on the north side of third street got taken down.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0734 seconds