Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Railfan hotel in Kansas City

Date: 11/19/19 12:38
Railfan hotel in Kansas City
Author: displacedneb

The Crown Center Sheraton Inn rests just southeast of Kansas City Union Station. Rooms on the north side offer a view of the Kansas City Terminal Railway East/West mainline east of Union Station. The train traffic is pretty constant.
Rooms are very nice, quiet and clean.
My senior room rate was $165.00 a night.
Close by is the WW1 Museum/Liberty Memorial and the new streetcar line to the River Market area.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/19/19 13:07
Re: Railfan hotel in Kansas City
Author: callum_out

I used the La Quinta in North KC, and so did the BNSF, definite railfan hotel.

Out

Date: 11/19/19 15:40
Author: arizonaBNSF

Pffffttt, you're not a true railfan until you've camped in you car in the middle of nowhere next to the tracks. :P

Date: 11/19/19 23:56
Author: mapboy

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used the La Quinta in North KC, and so did the
> BNSF, definite railfan hotel.
>
> Out

I stayed at the Ramada Inn in Barstow, and so did the BNSF crews.  I got a call in the middle of the night from BNSF, and I don't even work for them!  The hazards of staying at a hotel with railroad crews!

mapboy

Date: 11/20/19 06:23
Author: randgust

I stayed at the Crown a while back on business, remember it well because I could see the "Western Auto" signature sign from my hotel window.    Rather comfy spot to watch trains from on the north side, higher room the better. to see down to track level.

That's worth it in KC.   There's elevated hampster pedestrian tunnels all the way from the Crown to Union Station,    There's multiple overpass bridges to use for photography from the sidewalks, and you can get down to track level easily if you look at the Science Center area of Union Station.   The old freight house accross to the north side has some decent restaurants.   Definitely one of the more high-traffic downtowns to railfan in where you can be completely uninformed and still have a great experience.  At that time there was also quite s string of PV's parked down in front of Union on the south tracks.   Absolutely no need to tresspass anywhere.

There's also a pedestrian bridge right out the back of Union Station over the main lines, but I remember it having tinted glass, I think

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/19 06:24 by randgust.

Date: 11/21/19 17:52
Author: nonamemal

That may mean that you enjoyed the RR Corporate Rate for the night and didn’t even know it!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds