Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Donner Summit, Before and After the Storm

Date: 11/29/19 06:58
Donner Summit, Before and After the Storm
Author: broken_link

Things have been fairly warm and very dry in the Sierra Nevada this fall. The dry weather finally gave way to the first major storm of the season beginning this past Tuesday afternoon. We had received a couple of feet at our cabin in Serene Lakes by Wednesday evening, and it is still snowing lightly as I type this. Another storm is shaping up to hit the area starting Saturday evening, and the current forecast is calling for several feet of additional snow.

Photos 1 through 4: Several hours before the snow started, UP 7678, 7476, and 8657 lead empty hoppers (presumably from Richmond, CA) east at CP RV192. The train is cresting the summit of Donner Pass and is about to enter Tunnel 41 for the run down to Sparks.

Photo 5: AMTK 23 leads a late Train 5, the California Zephyr, westbound at Soda Springs on Thanksgiving morning. This train left Truckee over 40 minutes late, and I can't say how late they finished their journey to Emeryville. There was a lot of chatter about problems with the crossovers at Fulda that brought the railroad to a stop.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sean

Date: 11/29/19 07:00
Continued: Donner Summit, Before and After the Storm
Author: broken_link

Continued.

Date: 11/29/19 11:27
Re: Continued: Donner Summit, Before and After the Storm
Author: SP8595

Wow! Great shots!

Date: 11/29/19 12:17
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 11/29/19 19:09
Author: atsf121

Great photo of Amtrak in the snow!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/30/19 04:56
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 12/01/19 15:12
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!  I REALLY like Pics 2 and 5!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/19 15:13 by ns1000.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds