Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Holiday Express Part II

Date: 12/01/19 14:55
BNSF Holiday Express Part II
Author: twjurgens

Thanks to a heads up from wpjones, I was able to get some shots of the BNSF Holiday Express on its way to Great Falls, Montana.  The wind was howling out of the north and made it feel much colder than what the actual temp was but the trip was worth it!.  Neither Steve nor I got much cooperation from the clouds.

The first shot is at Seward, NE where BNSF 5991 and 9117 were rolling a coal load east bound.  Tucked away on the west leg of the wye there, BNSF 7025 was dpu on the Holiday Express.

As Steve noted, a crew showed up at around 1:45 and the train departed at 2 for the west bound journey.

Fellow TO'er scotty was there too and when we saw the headlight brighten and the ditch lights come on, we hustled 5 miles west to Tamora for the action shots.  Bad judgment on our part!  The cloud cover was much heavier there than it was at Seward.  Digital cameras can be forgiving and a little photoshop work helps too.  Shots 2 and 3 are at Tamora where the train was near track speed.

(going away shots follow) 

Date: 12/01/19 14:57
Re: BNSF Holiday Express Part II
Author: twjurgens

The going away shots at Tamora.  Looks like light conditions were considerably better about 20 miles or so west of here!

Thanks for the heads up Steve!

Date: 12/01/19 16:10
Author: DHarrison

What is the catenary orange structure?

DHarrison

Date: 12/01/19 16:21
Author: wpjones

It's for the fall protection when the elevator workers are on top of the covered hoppers opening or closing the hatches. They must be tetherd to the structure so they cannot fall off the cars.
Steve

DHarrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the catenary orange structure?
>
> DHarrison

Date: 12/01/19 17:26
Author: bmarti7

Nice shots Tom. At least you got some light reflection on the cars as well.
BB

Date: 12/01/19 19:48
Author: DHarrison

Thanks. I wouldn't have guessed.

DHarrison 

Date: 12/01/19 20:41
Author: PHall

DHarrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks. I wouldn't have guessed.
>
> DHarrison 

It's at just about anyplace covered hoppers are loaded/unloaded. Been an OSHA requirement for over 20 years now.
Most of them aren't as long as this one but they're out there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds