Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Flood Repairs on the BNSF Napier Sub

Date: 12/10/19 10:56
Flood Repairs on the BNSF Napier Sub
Author: bmarti7

North of St.Joe, I traveled I-29. After descending into the Missouri River Valley in Northwest Missouri, I was amazed at the amount of flooding that was still occurring in the Valley. In fact two interchanges in Iowa were closed (exits 20 & 24) I jumped on I-29 and stayed on the freeway all the way to Pacific Junction exit 32. Just north of the Hwy 2 interchange (exit 10), I spotted a ballast train working on the Napier (of note as it was Sunday). Then I saw another ballast train further north, also working along the Napier Sub. As I crossed the BNSF tracks, south of Pacific Junction, a third ballast train ran under me.

I'm not sure if they're replacing ballast, with added rip-rap or they are raising the roadbed. Either way it was showing BNSF's commitment to the Napier and to keep it open during floods. Photos taken Sunday, November 24.

BB

1. Ballast train working north of Hwy 2 interchange (shot out passenger side window at 70 mph)
2. Second ballast train ten miles further north (also shot out window at speed)
3. Third ballast train passing under the Lambert Ave overpass near Pacific Junction - note the rip rap already dumped along the ROW. The still-flooded fields were plentiful along I-29.
one more....

Date: 12/10/19 10:58
Re: Flood Repairs on the BNSF Napier Sub
Author: bmarti7

4. Note the the size of the rip rap and the flooded fields - taken from Lambert Ave overpass.

Date: 12/10/19 18:12
Author: Ritzville

Nice photo essay of the BNSF flood repairs with interesting shots.

Larry

Date: 12/10/19 21:22
Author: SCKP187

Nice to see work train  photos and the work they perform.  Flood waters sure have hung around for a long time this year.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds