Home Open Account Help 153 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Southern California / Northern Mexico Railroad

Date: 12/13/19 18:39
Southern California / Northern Mexico Railroad
Author: chapmaja

I have a few questions regarding the railroad line that runs between San Diego, south through Northern Mexico, then returns to the US before winding its way east to El Centro? What railroad is this? Is it still the Baja California? If so, how far from each end does the railroad run? It appears there is a lot of nothing in between the ends of the line. How much traffic is there south of the border before it ends up in neverland for miles and miles. How much from the UP (I think) interchange at the east end of the line to the USG plant? Is there anything running the full length of the line? 

Date: 12/13/19 21:49
Re: Southern California / Northern Mexico Railroad
Author: czuleget

No service East out of Mexico. It all currently arrives and departs though San Diego.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/13/19 22:15
Author: JohnM

Here's an article from February published in the San Diego tribune. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/environment/sd-me-desert-line-update-20190207-story.html

Date: 12/14/19 10:45
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Depending on how much of a problem the Delmar bluffs are going to pose, it might be wise to try and re-open the SD&AE line.  

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2019-11-29/bluff-collapses-in-del-mar-within-feet-of-train-tracks

Date: 12/14/19 11:28
Author: callum_out

Nothing of current interest would fit through the SD&AE tunnels.

Out

Date: 12/14/19 19:13

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing of current interest would fit through the SD&AE tunnels.

Are you sure about that?  Didn't they run some double-stack moves to check clearances?  I'd heard that the tunnels in Carriso Gorge were big enough for a man to stand atop a boxcar.  

Date: 12/14/19 19:37
Author: callum_out

I was thinking more of auto racks, double stacks would take some work as at least one of the tunnels has cave
in problems.

Out

Date: 12/14/19 20:03

Yeah, it would cost billions to get that line into good operating condition and, unless the state or federal government steps in with some money, I don't see much of anything happening.  

Date: 12/15/19 17:18
Author: chapmaja

Who controls the line from the UP to plaster City? Is that UP that services USG or is that the shortline? Where does the ownership line exist?

Date: 12/15/19 22:42
Author: ble692

chapmaja Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who controls the line from the UP to plaster City?
> Is that UP that services USG or is that the
> shortline? Where does the ownership line exist?

The UP owned and served El Centro Subdivision goes from El Centro west to Plaster City, a total of 18.2 miles. The ownership changes at milepost 129.6 in Plaster City.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds