Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What to see going northeast from Houston, TX

Date: 12/14/19 15:14
What to see going northeast from Houston, TX
Author: EMDSW-1

Another road trip next week... this time to buy a tamper... takes me from the Houston airport up 59 to Oil City, LA  and overnight near Shreveport. Wondering if anything interesting to see in my travels.

Thanks for any advice!

Dick Samuels
Oregon Pacific Railroad

Date: 12/14/19 16:00
Re: What to see going northeast from Houston, TX
Author: WrongWayMurphy

The SP “Rabbit” parallels US 59 Hou-Shreveport.  Traffic is basically one way westbound, save for
a contra flow local, but train count is low, 2-3 per daylight hours.  Nothing special, lots of pine trees,
very similar to Oregon, without the mountains.  All the good stuff has been removed by UP

If you are in the Nacogdoches area Tuesday, I have something to show you.  PM me if so.

Shane Murphy

Date: 12/14/19 21:09
Author: tomstp

If you are thru after Shreveport, follow Highway west along the X-T&P.  It is a busy railroad.

Date: 12/15/19 00:31
Author: wpamtk

The Angelina & Neches River at Lufkin and the Texas South-Eastern at Diboll are interesting shortlines.

Date: 12/15/19 04:10
Author: EricSP

Instead of buying a ticket to IAH, you may want to buy one to SHV via IAH, DFW, or DEN. I flew into and out of SHV August 2018. I got to the airport early but there was no line at TSA. The TSA agents were friendly and even brought by sunglasses that I accidently left at the checkpoint to me at the terminal.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0252 seconds