Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > AOK Q

Date: 01/12/20 18:57
AOK Q
Author: BobE

If I’m to do the AOK, where’s a good place to go?

I think I’ve heard the HQ is Wilburton, OK, but searching a well-known rail photo site (not this one) yields nothing.

TIA

BobE

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/12/20 19:11
Re: AOK Q
Author: mococomike

When you doing the AOK I'll be out there next weekend.

Date: 01/12/20 19:18

I’ll be doing the Plano (subrban Dallas train show next weekend). AOK slated for Tuesday and/or Wednesday.

Research says they have a loading facility for automobiles in Oklahoma City proper, and a yard of some sort in Shawnee, 36 miles away.

If I remember correctly you have some sort of business in Oklahoma City And these would make sure you don’t have to drive very far, at least not more than you already have.

BobE

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/12/20 19:38
Author: mococomike

Ya they have a big auto loading yard on the eastside of OKC, I scouted the yards last weekend and will send you my findings.

Date: 01/13/20 07:14
Author: billywa

Bob,

Haven't been down that way in quite some time, but in previous experience, Wilburton was the busiest of AOK's three outposts. Shawnee is hit or miss, and the OKC auto yard, while usually active, is mostly just switching. Best advice I could give is to call them and ask what's going on and where. The owner is David Donoley and they are exceedingly railfan friendly. 

Best of luck!

​billywa

BobE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I’m to do the AOK, where’s a good place to
> go?

Date: 01/13/20 14:16
Author: BNSF-6432

While Wilburton is a good spot, I've had my luck with catching them working in McAlester where they have a couple big industries and UP interchange. They keep power there at the depot near the interlocker. Theres also the eastern end of the line at Wister where they serve a tie plant and keep power there.

PQM

Posted from Android

Date: 01/13/20 20:49

I’ve only shot them once before. 12 years ago and in McAlester. That’s where I am now, tied up for the night at a local hotel.

BobE

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds