Home Open Account Help 196 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Canadian Terminals

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/13/20 22:08
BNSF Canadian Terminals
Author: Textiles

I was wondering if anybody knew if BNSF hires in Canada, more specifically as Conductors (I’m not looking for work) I know they have a terminal in Vancouver and they do hire certain positions there like track maintainers and signal maintainers (any job done locally) but I was wondering if they Hired Conductors there or If the people operating the trains to and from Vancouver from the states were hired on in the states at a different terminal.. I ask because BNSF (Or any site) ever seems to mention the terminal. I’ve never heard anyone mention the terminal at all online or in work reviews so it made me wonder...

Date: 01/13/20 22:28
Re: BNSF Canadian Terminals
Author: PHall

Being that it's in Canada they may not be able to hire anybody but Canadian citizens.

Date: 01/13/20 23:02

Well yes But these Canadian Citizens would Then be operating a train to Seattle and back (The terminal only Runs to Seattle, no other tracks in BC) and then staying in Seattle and driving a new one back. So who’s to say it’s not just people who hired on in Washington state somewhere and stay the night in Vancouver or something?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/20 03:38
Author: dan

americans drive trains up into canada

Date: 01/14/20 03:50
Author: TAW

Textiles Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well yes But these Canadian Citizens would Then be
> operating a train to Seattle and back (The
> terminal only Runs to Seattle, no other tracks in
> BC) and then staying in Seattle and driving a new
> one back. So who’s to say it’s not just people
> who hired on in Washington state somewhere and
> stay the night in Vancouver or something?
>

The thru freight crews are based in the US and the away from home terminal is in Canada. It has been that way forever and it appears that the Canadian government is ok with that. The jobs that go to work in Canada are hired in Canada. Those folks must be Canadian. US-based production MofW crews must be approved by Canadian customs and immigration like anyone else, and the duration of stay is limited. I'm sure that BNSF must make a good case for the need to use US MofW employees in Canada.

The White Rock, New Westminster, and Vancouver operator jobs were in the same seniority district as the rest of the operators in Washington. US employees worked there regularly, some bid in and owning positions. In the 80s, Canada decided that no more US citizens would be allowed to work those jobs. The ones who owned a position could stay. No seniority moves into Canada by US citizens even though it was on the district. At the end of a long story, the operators at New Westminster became train dispatchers, handling between Vancouver and the border. As a result of the Tacoma office being brought to Seattle, I was cut off-couldn't even hold the extra board. I was senior to a couple of the New Westminster dispatchers and initiated the procedure to bump into that office. The Canadian government said no, they didn't care about the union agreement, no US citizens could work those jobs.

Later, working for BN on a couple of projects, I went to many meetings in Vancouver. Purpose of visit, meeting and all was fine at the border, even once when the meeting was Dark and Early and it involved an overnight stay, but that required more explanation than being in Canada just a few hours for a meeting.

When BN(SF) moved to Texas and I didn't, as a consultant, I was hired by the BC government to recon a new location for a passenger station in Vancouver. I needed a road trip to the Lower Mainland for a week of recon. At the border, I was asked and responded that I would be a week looking over potential stations and routes. That was meant with a tirade of Who do you Americans think you are coming to take Canadian jobs...and worse. I was sent to special interrogation. I got more of the same. Other US consultants have told me similar stories. In my case, for some reason, the first line of my contract, reading In the service of Her Majesty, the Queen seemed to have a pretty powerful effect and I was welcomed into Canada.

Nope, don't think of hiring out in Canada on BNSF if you're not Canadian.

TAW

Date: 01/14/20 07:38
Author: RRTom

Then there was the time I found out about the fiancé (K-1) Visa with herself next to me in the car at Blaine.  US Customs let us in with a warning that time, but for the next several years into our marriage, until she got citizenship, US Customs made border crossings with her so extremely and unnecessarily unpleasant while the car was searched and we were interrogated every time we crossed into the USA.
She turned out to be a damned fine US Citizen just like I am - so there!

OK here's some RR content: I worked as a US citizen on a Canadian rail project, living in Canada.  My company took care of a lot but they said the taxes were too complicated so I agreed to take some extra cash and get that sorted out myself.  My work permit was like a gold ticket to get across the border, never had a problem when I showed that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/20 07:41 by RRTom.

Date: 01/14/20 09:05
Author: czephyr17

rantoul Wrote:
> To reach Vancouver does BNSF use trackage rights
> in Canada (ex BC Hydro or CP) or does BNSF own
> right of way / track?

BNSF owns their own ROW. In fact CN actually had trackage rights on BNSF (former GN) to access Vancouver.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/20 09:50

czephyr17 Wrote:
> rantoul Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > To reach Vancouver does BNSF use trackage
> rights
> > in Canada (ex BC Hydro or CP) or does BNSF own
> > right of way / track?
>
> BNSF owns their own ROW. In fact CN actually had
> trackage rights on BNSF (former GN) to access
> Vancouver.
>
GN built and owned one track, CN the other. It was operated as a joint facility controlled by GN/BN. CN put in CTC between New Westminster and Willingdon Jct in the late 80s and in exchange for the GM&O tower at Corwith, took control in the 90s (don't remember exactly when in the 90s).

TAW

Date: 01/14/20 10:13

No, BNSF Has Their Own Line To Vancouver.. On the USA side it’s the Bellingham Sub and once it crosses into Canada It’s The New Westminister Sub. They Do have trackage rights on the Ex BCR line to Roberts Bank For Coal Imports/Exports Though

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/20 10:17

So what Your saying is, The Conductors/Engineers That operate the trains between Vancouver and Washington state ARE Canadian employees? Hired on at the Canadian Terminal? Actually now that I think about it they do have some switching jobs they do in Canada So some conductors must work there

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/20 10:48

thru trains have american employees last i heard local trains in the yard in canada have canadiens, just What TAW said above

Date: 01/14/20 11:41

So people who probably hired on in Seattle?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/20 11:47
Author: spider1319

The BNSF also has a terminal in Winnipeg,Mb on isolated trackage with Canadien employees.Last time I checked they had one train crew,one clerk plus M/W employees.The traffic from the States is handled by CN and CP by a haulage agreement.Bill Webb

Date: 01/14/20 13:05

Yeah I was aware of that

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/20 13:16

Textiles Wrote:
> So what Your saying is, The Conductors/Engineers
> That operate the trains between Vancouver and
> Washington state ARE Canadian employees? Hired on
> at the Canadian Terminal?

The thru freight crews are based in the US and the away from home terminal is in Canada.

> Actually now that I
> think about it they do have some switching jobs
> they do in Canada So some conductors must work
> there

The jobs that go to work in Canada are hired in Canada. Those folks must be Canadian.

TAW

Date: 01/14/20 13:18

Textiles Wrote:
> So people who probably hired on in Seattle?
>

When I hired out, the thru trains were operated by a pool based at Interbay. Later they became assigned jobs with crews based at Everett, but vacancies covered from the Interbay extra board. I don't know if that arrangement has changed.

TAW

Date: 01/14/20 13:29

So how does one apply to work that route (I’m not)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/20 13:31

get a job in the nw  with  BN

Date: 01/14/20 13:32

Yes, the local jobs where they don’t travel regularly across the border (track maintainers signal maintainers to name a few) do apply in Vancouver, I checked the BNSF jobs board and they currently have openings for track maintainers at the new west terminal... was just referring to conductors/engineers when making this thread

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/20 13:33

As a conductor?? Sorry if I’m not getting it but seems like ppl are giving somewhat different answers

Posted from iPhone

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0881 seconds