Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Re: Topeka Sub Tuesday: Snow Shots, Volume 2

Date: 01/14/20 14:47
Re: Topeka Sub Tuesday: Snow Shots, Volume 2
Author: route56

A second winter storm came through during the past weekend. Saturday was a day to stay home and let the weather do its handiwork, but come Sunday morning, it was time to go to town.

A check of the ATCS revealed that the Topeka Sub was lined up, so I lined up in the city park.

1: at 0853, BNSF 4017 charges east with an stack train.

2: Closeup of the lead Pumpkin.

3: Trailing engine 5051 with a haul of Schneider and JB Hunt containers behind.

Richie Kennedy
Lawrence, KS
route56.com

Date: 01/14/20 14:56

4: While watching the train pass through, I caught this bird aloft.

After the train passed, I made the mistake of heading across the river for Uncle Pete's territory. There was in fact  a eastbound on the line. I followed it to CP Turkey Creek, where I noticed there was some Maintenance of Way action on Main 1. I decided to return to the BNSF, but as I was crossing the bridge, there was a Pumpkin heading under the bridge.  I turned back to Don Ball Curve and checked ATCS. The UP line did not indicated any traffic, but there was still something heading the way on the BNSF.

5: At 9:55, BNSF 5135 and 7913 lead a train of international containers.

6: Closeup of 7913

Richie Kennedy
Lawrence, KS
route56.com

Date: 01/14/20 15:10

After the train passed, I checked ATCS and saw that there was nothing slated for either the BNSF or the UP, so I went to Mickey D's to grab an Egg McMuffin and posted my photos to Social Media, followed by a trip to Walgreen's and Dillon's. By the time I was finished with my run, I checked Social Media again (NOT while Driving) and noticed that someone had indicated that there was one more train out on the BNSF, which I confirmed with ATCS. Thus, it was back to the tracks for one more train.

7: At 1115, a pair of rebuilt Geeps head east with the DeSoto roadswitcher.

8: The roadswitcher consisted of all of four boxcars. I thought it odd for the job to be out on a Sunday, but apparantly (according to that fuzzy Social Media) the DeSoto job works Sunday-Thursday.

All photos taken January 12, 2020 in Lawrence, Kansas.

Thanks for Looking,

Richie Kennedy
Lawrence, KS
route56.com

Date: 01/15/20 05:49
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 01/15/20 08:45
Author: bmarti7

Me likey! Thanks for posting Richie.

BB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds