Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Following BNSF from Old Route 66 Fenner to Ludlow, Calif.

Date: 01/23/20 19:57
Following BNSF from Old Route 66 Fenner to Ludlow, Calif.
Author: barstowRRmuseum

Old Route 66 west from Fenner (I-40 Exit 107) to the point east of Amboy from where the intersection turns north to Kelso has been closed to the public for at least two years. However, Highway 66 between those two points is easily driveable by any vehicle, even motorcycles. The road is used by local traffic, BNSF trucks and vehicles belonging to a pipeline construction company..Along the route there are five bridge washouts that have dirt road bypasses graded around them, Four are close togrther and one is further west. None are any longer than 300 yards and the dirt roads hardpacked. Except for the washout bypasses, the paved highway is in perfect driving condition. Drive past the barriers at Fenner and east of Amboy and stay on Route 66 the entire distance east from Ludlow all the way to the Highway 95 rail crossing at East Ibis and Kleinfelter. If you drive the closed portion of Route 66 at night, be careful as there are no reflectors on the barriers, so don't crash into them. I have traveled this route while exploring the BNSF well over a dozen times and guided others. Spring is soon and the perfect time to photograph trains crossing the Mojave Desert before the heat turns you to toast.

Robert Del Grosso
Kingman, Aroz.

Date: 01/23/20 20:34
Re: Following BNSF from Old Route 66 Fenner to Ludlow, Calif.
Author: callum_out

As I've said before, if the CHP catches you they will cite you, drive at yourt own risk.

Out 

Date: 01/24/20 04:01
Author: bakersfielddave

When I was driving between Daggett and Amboy and also on the eastern end on open 66 I saw at least one police vehicle or suv type in each direction every hour or so....did not venture past barriers....this was about 2 months ago...

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/20 03:04 by bakersfielddave.

Date: 01/24/20 04:16
Author: needles_sub

I have encountered the CHP many times after going around the barriers. After explaining Im photographing trains they are good with it. The officers explained the barriers are more for long wheel base vehicles like motor homes and straight trucks.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/24/20 04:21
Author: exhaustED

Good info in this thread, thanks.

Date: 01/24/20 06:54
Author: needles_sub

dtoeppen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eric Estrada & Larry Wilcox would be ok with
> driving on those.

Put down your remote, there's a world of trains out here.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/24/20 14:48
Author: goneon66

as far as i am concerned, those "road closed" signs on old route 66 in the mojave desert between amboy and fenner/essex should be obeyed and enforced by law enforcement.

these "washed out" bridges cross places that are prone to flash flooding.  hopefully nobody will find out just how dangerous crossing a wash prior to or during a flashflood is.........

Date: 01/24/20 14:56
Author: JohnM

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as far as i am concerned, those "road closed"
> signs on old route 66 in the mojave desert between
> amboy and fenner/essex should be obeyed and
> enforced by law enforcement.
>
> these "washed out" bridges cross places that are
> prone to flash flooding.  hopefully nobody will
> find out just how dangerous crossing a wash prior
> to or during a flashflood is.........
>
> 66   

I for appreciate the "spirit of the law" versus the "letter of the law" that the state traffic officers are practicing using their discretionary powers. 

Date: 01/24/20 17:58
Author: callum_out

And that's the crux of the discussion, my warning came directly from CHP Needles but I'm sure that the patrol officers have
some discretion on the matter. After all the road is open for affected local access.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0628 seconds