Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Bland day, anyway

Date: 01/25/20 14:39
Bland day, anyway
Author: tomstp

I decided to go see if UP was doing anything in Ft Worth..  Well, not much as I first drove by the old receiving yard on the west end.  4 yard engines  used to be hump engines were pulling a manifest toward and in to the old yard at a crawl speed.  Before all this flat switching you would only see 2 units lugging a train around and humping it..  I came back in a half hour and it had stopped and  was not moving.  Nothing to see here.

During the interim I visited the ready track and saw an interesting locomotive UPY447 what appeared to be an old SD-40 rebuilt into I don't know what.  At first glance I noticed no roof top fans over the rear radiators.  Then noticed no exhaust stack making me think it was slave unit but, then I saw it still had a fuel tank.  Take a look and let me know what it really is.

Things were really quiet around the engine terminal as 13 units were in the ready tracks and  were just sitting there.  Only one engine in the fuel and sand house.  Adjacent to all this were 3 more SD-40 types that were switching the east end of what used to be called the outbound tracks.  There was hardly anything in them.  Same for the inbound tracks as it has only one train in it   In all, the yard was remarkably almost empty.

So I left and drove west toward the west end of the yard, saw a green signal meaning a train was lined to leave westbound.  I beat it to Iona and snapped one shot of a boring train of containers.

I'm sure all of you have had those days when railroads are just not worth chasing.  So look at some cruddy pictures and see if anything interests you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/20 15:49 by tomstp.

Date: 01/25/20 14:48
Re: Bland day, anyway
Author: tomstp

The line up.  Rest of ready track.  How many signs do you need to go down MOPAC Road?  And, 8839 leads the west bound stack train at Iona which is now 12,675 ft long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/20 15:45 by tomstp.

Date: 01/25/20 15:30
Author: Txtrainman60

Your shots bring back memories. I've spent many an hour sitting right where you took your photos! I haven't been up there in over a year but I see little if anything has changed.

Date: 01/25/20 20:29
Author: SCKP187

Nice photos of what is/isn't going on.  UPY 447---maybe they kept the fuel tank to add weigh???
Brian Stevens

Date: 01/25/20 21:38
Author: PHall

UPY 447 is a SLUG. It should be mated to a SD40N UPY 347.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds