Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dining loss in Barstow, CA

Date: 02/02/20 14:37
Dining loss in Barstow, CA
Author: wpamtk

I recently learned that Barstow's Idle Spurs Steak House shut down last month after nearly 50 years in business. After a hard day railfanning the Needles District or Cima Hill, it was a great place to relax and enjoy a cocktail and a nice piece of cow. I'd been going there since the mid-1980s, and my last visit was when the Big Boy was in town last October. Oh well, there's still the McDonalds with the six UP passenger cars built into it....

Date: 02/02/20 14:45
Re: Dining loss in Barstow, CA
Author: tgcostello

Too bad about the Idle Spurs, definately one of the better restaurants in Barstow.
TC

Date: 02/02/20 15:34
Author: vegasrails

It's been a few years, disappointing that it closed

Date: 02/02/20 16:13
Author: MirandaDepot

This is indeed sad news. A while ago Idle Spurs closed for lunch, a sign of trouble ahead. I'll live with memories from the first years to the last. Not much need to stop in Barstow anymore....

Date: 02/02/20 16:19
Author: callum_out

Comment on not much in Barstow anymore is sure true. We used to run the 1 or 2 off road races a year,
back when there was nothing at the Lenwood off ramp but an off ramp and the Holiday Inn  wasn't
a bad place and there were several decent hotels and food, sure has changed.

Out 

Date: 02/02/20 17:19
Author: JayK

The Idle Spurs was always on the menu for dinner when staying in Barstow. Sad to see it's closed.

Date: 02/02/20 17:58
Author: MirandaDepot

More on Idle Spurs, just to bring back memories. 

Date: 02/02/20 18:44
Author: BarstowRiff

Morgan and Donna Ray brought this restaurant back from closure about 45 years ago. My nephew was married there during the time it was closed and virtually all my nieces have worked there in their youth as waitresses. Morgan is gone now, but Donna is still alive and the restaurant was run by her daughter....guess it got to be too much. Donna always closed the restaurant for my family's funerals. Have had some good meals there and some good times over the past 55 years or so, but the view of the Rodman Mountains at sunset was a desert vista that could not be beat. Sad news indeed. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/20 18:45 by BarstowRiff.

Date: 02/02/20 20:04
Author: zfan

That sucks!!  All good things come to an end. 

Date: 02/02/20 20:41
Author: coach

This hurts as much as KELCY'S CAFE closing in Tehachapi!!!!!!!  These were GREAT places to stop, rest, eat and enjoy some time with friends / family while traveling.   Very sad!

Date: 02/02/20 21:06
Author: callum_out

Hell, it isn't just food in Barstow, find a decent place to stay!

Out 

Date: 02/02/20 21:46
Author: wpamtk

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This hurts as much as KELCY'S CAFE closing in
> Tehachapi!!!!!!!  These were GREAT places to
> stop, rest, eat and enjoy some time with friends /
> family while traveling.   Very sad!

Wow, Kelcy's too? It really is "all crap now."

Date: 02/03/20 09:21
Author: Fredo

Jeff Smith's,the owner of Railmaster Hobbies in Bellflower,Calif. sister Denice worked there for years after graduating from her internship at the Yermo Railroad Inn, AKA The Beanery,in UP's Yermo Yard.

Date: 02/03/20 14:10
Author: johnsweetser

Kelcy's in Tehachapi reopened last August under new owners.  They haven't closed again, have they?

Date: 02/04/20 03:41
Author: exhaustED

Try 'The old fire station' in Barstow... if it's still there.

Date: 02/05/20 13:59
Author: UPJeff

Yes, my sister worked there for a number of years 20+ I believe.  Many of you who went there more than likely had met here.  She was a bartender there.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds