Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Questions about Walsenburg, CO

Date: 02/12/20 06:18
Questions about Walsenburg, CO
Author: 2839Canadian

Whose trains pass through Walsenburg now?  Walsenburg appears to be on the southern end of the Joint Line.  Older maps show the FW&D, ATSF and D&RGW western as far south as Colorado Springs, but only FW&D and D&RGW south to Pueblo.

The D&RGW's line west from Walsenburg to Alamosa is still intact, operated by the San Luis & Rio Grande.  How often do their trains go to Walsenburg?  Which RR do they interchange with at Walsenburg. Locals told me UP, but I could not verify this. 

nformation I found on various websites is very confusing. Need accurate info from railfans!

Many thanks

Date: 02/12/20 06:47
Re: Questions about Walsenburg, CO
Author: Mudrock

The only trains in Trinidad are on the old Colorado Southern BNSF and the two Southwest Chiefs on the old Santa Fe BNSF.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/20 06:48 by Mudrock.

Date: 02/12/20 07:01
Author: dan

UP runs a train to Walsenburg to interchange with SLRG and back to Pueblo

Date: 02/12/20 09:33
Author: callum_out

I believe the UP Turn runs three days a week and as for BNSF, that route handles mainly Northbound traffic,
was the preferred line for the coal empties. 

Out 

Date: 02/12/20 12:38
Author: czephyr17

Unless things have changed recently, SLRG can only interchange with UP. Since SLRG was originally a DRGW line, and DRGW is now part of UP, it makes sense it was conveyed with that provision.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/12/20 13:49
Author: callum_out

That of course could change with a new owner and an STB filing.

Out 

Date: 02/12/20 14:28
Author: dan

UP didn't grant rights on last few feet to the joint line, UP allowed them to get cars for storage from the BN i think.

Date: 02/12/20 14:59
Author: SD45X

South of Pueblo is C&S and DRGW to Walsenburg. FWD stopped at Texline TX. C&S to Trinidad with DRGW trackage rights.
UP only one allowed to interchange with SLRG. Was three nights a week. However a couple empties were stored a few years ago and BNSF crews were sent in. Big stink ensued. Weren't qualified to shove a train length and no more empties with BNSF crews.
UP main welded rail and C&S still mostly jointed.
Joint Line stopped at Pueblo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/20 15:00 by SD45X.

Date: 02/12/20 19:43
Author: czephyr17

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> South of Pueblo is C&S and DRGW to Walsenburg. FWD
> stopped at Texline TX. C&S to Trinidad with DRGW
> trackage rights.

All correct until January 1, 1982. During the year 1982, all former C&S operations between Texline and Denver, including the Joint Line between Pueblo and Denver, were merged into FW&D. All former C&S operations north of Denver were merged into BN. On January 1, 1983 the FW&D was also merged into BN.

Thus if your map was produced in 1982, it would be correct showing the FW&D south of Denver and through Walsenburg.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/18/20 19:22
Author: BryanJ

There was once three lines between Denver and Pueblo. The third line was the Denver and New Orleans. That line and subsequent ownership and trackage rights became the C&S. There is still some grade left in places.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds