Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Pica, Arizona. Just Where Is That?

Date: 02/13/20 09:15
BNSF Pica, Arizona. Just Where Is That?
Author: barstowRRmuseum

Pica is located at MP 446.9, four miles east of Yampai (Summit) at MP 452.1. This desolate lonely place is truly in the boondox. Traveling east on Route 66 about 25 miles west of Seligman, start looking for those Santa Fe black-colored water tanks on the flats 1/8 mile south of the highway. In the top photo. Two westbound trains are approaching Pica, one an autorack and the other a doublestack. The shot is a bit unusual in that one of the trains is utilizing the westbound main while the other is on the eastern. The doublestack is about two miles distant and approaching at notch 8 to gain speed and momenton in climbing the steep grade to Yampai. When the middle of the train passes Pica, its speed has slowed and is now struggling up the hill like all others. Shortly after the doublestack has passed, the autorack takes its turn and begins climbing the hill, then all is silent. You can then listen to the wind whistling through your hair, if you have any, and contemplate waiting for an eastbound descending the grade. I didn't because looking west from Pica is not so scenic and would be just another wedgie. I then head east to Seligman to see what is there and gawk at the many tourists rushing about buying trinkets to take back to China to show their comrades. I wonder what they are thinking when examining their treasures and discover what they bought was Made in China.
Robert C. Del Grosso - Kingman, Ariz.

Date: 02/13/20 11:00
Re: BNSF Pica, Arizona. Just Where Is That?
Author: tomstp

Thanks for the funny "kickers" in your narrative.

Date: 02/13/20 12:59
Author: ns1000

Interesting view in Pic 1....

Date: 02/13/20 13:14
Author: AndyBrown

Very cool zoom!  I've been by there several times on 66 but haven't ventured back to the tracks yet.

Andy

Date: 02/13/20 19:48
Author: railstiesballast

Very imaginative, and I like the "Chief" drawing at the base of the water tower.
(It is too good to be called grafitti.)

Date: 02/14/20 07:38
Author: bmarti7

Great shots!

BB

Date: 02/15/20 06:41
Author: KimHeusel

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very imaginative, and I like the "Chief" drawing
> at the base of the water tower.
> (It is too good to be called grafitti.)

Great observation and great shots. Another place I have to think about hitting if I ever get out that way again.

Kim Heusel

Date: 02/18/20 15:07
Author: SilverPeakRail

Nice to see the steam era water tanks and water softener (the little tank) survive.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds