Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Looking for info -- Union Pacific caused wildfire in Utah, ~2000s

Date: 02/13/20 15:44
Looking for info -- Union Pacific caused wildfire in Utah, ~2000s
Author: gobbl3gook

Hi All, 

A neighbor of mine in Provo UT tells a story from about 10 or 20 years ago.  There was a wildfire out in the west desert, probably around Delta or Lyndyll or Rush Valley.  The wildfire was started by the Union Pacific somehow.  The wildfire closed the highway.  There were two gasoline tanker trucks that were stuck on the highway, and couldn't turn around.  They detatched from their trailers and the drivers and tractors were able to get away, but the gasoline tanker trailers burned.  

Does this trigger a memory with anyone?  

This neighbor is usually spot-on with his memories, but I've asked him about this one a couple times, and it was just the third telling that he noted it was ignited by the railroad.  So it may or may not be accurate.  It could also be 30 or 40 years ago... 

I am interested in knowing the location and date of the fire to get more information on it.  

Or is there another internet resource I could use -- a Utah Railfans group on Yahoo, Facebook or another platform?  I'll try contacting GrandeGold (James Belmont) too.  

Thanks 
Ted in UT

Date: 02/14/20 16:10
Re: Looking for info -- Union Pacific caused wildfire in Utah, ~2
Author: JohnM

Ted are you doing research for a report or something?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/27/20 23:17
Author: gobbl3gook

Hi John, 

There is a bulk oil plant in Provo, UT.  They have way too much gasoline, oil, gasoline tankers and other things crammed into their yard.  They get a pass from the city's Fire Marshal in part because they say "we have never had an accident here."  

I'm told that two of their tankers burned in this fire.  

The concern for the neighbors (of which I am one) is that an accident at their plant will be "casued by" someone else, but will create a devastating fire in their yard and adjacent homes because of the tightly packed storage.  

Hence, I'm looking for a written source on the claim that two of their tanker trailers burned ~20 year ago.  

Ted in UT

Date: 02/28/20 00:28
Author: JohnM

I would look for land ownership at the point of origin if you cam guess where that was.  If it's federal, try the BLM, non-federal try the Utah dept of natural resources.  The agency that had protection responsibility for the point of origin will have the fire records, etc for the incident.  Keep us posted.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/20 00:30 by JohnM.

Date: 02/28/20 06:17
Author: FiestaFoamer

If anybody knows (or knows who could tell you), it would be Don Strack, right?

https://utahrails.net/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds