Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What is this? A UP FP-40-2 !!!!!!!!!!

Date: 02/14/20 16:14
What is this? A UP FP-40-2 !!!!!!!!!!
Author: slacks

Seen this on the ex-CNW at Lowden IA last week, looks freshly done. A fleet of these on a pig train would be intresting to say the least. I think their future is on work trains. Anyone have any details?

Date: 02/14/20 16:19
Re: What is this? A UP FP-40-2 !!!!!!!!!!
Author: mttrainman1

Looks like one more work-around to avoid using a train crew for work trains

Date: 02/14/20 17:06
Author: Hookdragkick

Fisher Price.

Date: 02/14/20 17:10
Author: EMD2024

And everyone's griping about the new White Pass and Yukon engines. Sheesh!

MWPerkins

Posted from Android

Date: 02/14/20 17:11
Author: DKay

Relco,Hawkeye Facility, Albia, Iowa.Builders date...10/31/2019
Regards.dK
Any pics of the car behind it ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/20 18:13 by DKay.

Date: 02/14/20 17:13
Author: SD45X

Think it was built so they didn't have to use a train crew on it. MOW can operate it.

Date: 02/14/20 17:49
Author: dan

wern't they built on sd-60 frames?

Date: 02/14/20 18:06
Author: dcfbalcoS1

So, how do they supposedly get around using to using MoW employees to run a locomotives. You have to be certified, correct?

MoW running a Brandt truck on the rail pulling tie cars or such is one thing but sticking a MoW guy on this, NO.

Date: 02/14/20 18:09
Author: pdt

I heard SD-40 frames, but whatever.   Its a modern day maintenance vehicle.  Specifically to be used on single unit working maintenance trains.    Yes, it is to replace C&E crew on working maintenance trains .  Not for movement of maintenance equip only.  AFAIK...

Date: 02/14/20 19:01
Author: 4451Puff

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>          So, how do they supposedly get
> around using to using MoW employees to run a
> locomotives?

It’s not a locomotive, it’s MOW equipment. You can tell because it has the words “MOW EQUIPMENT” stenciled on the side. (*snicker*)

Date: 02/14/20 19:32
Author: TAW

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
>          So, how do they supposedly get
> around using to using MoW employees to run a
> locomotives. You have to be certified, correct?

Been going on a long time...since something like the late 80s. It's not a locomotive; it was magically transformed into a maintenance of way machine.

TAW

Date: 02/14/20 19:34
Author: EsPee1229

If it looks like a locomotive, sounds like a locomotive, and smokes like a locomotive - it's most likely a locomotive!

Date: 02/14/20 21:38
Author: pdt

The idea is...if Speno, loram and other M/W companies can move their equipment, while performing its m/w duties, using "power cars" that generally were reconfigured GP-38's,  the UP cud have similar  M/W power units  to use with there own m/w trains, while they are moving along at 5 mph doing maintenence duties. 

They tried letting  power units with a maintence train move from A to B with just their mainteneace crew operating, but I think that all came to a halt when a rail grinder crew bringing  their  train down donner, went flying off the tracks and killed some people.   Now i believe its just for that 5mph working maintenance train type movement.  

Of course, that 5 mph working m/w train movement used to be handled by C&E, so i imagine its still a sore point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/20 00:35 by pdt.

Date: 02/14/20 22:41
Author: MP555

Good for UP and CP for acquiring these "MPM clones" and putting the work into BMWED employee's hands.  Hopefully more Class 1s follow suit and stop leasing similar equipment, and their non-union operators, from Herzog and Georgetown Rail Equipment.

Date: 02/15/20 07:01
Author: K8CNW

Hookdragkick Wrote:
> Fisher Price.

Ha! I actually worked at Fisher-Price for a bit designing trains for their Geotrax line. I made sure to build designs inspired by real trains such as the 20th Century Limited, UP 3985, Burlington Zephyr, and even the Chinese QJ. All of these and more went to market (see attached example).  This UP MOW equipment is a beast all it's own lol!

-Brian

Date: 02/15/20 09:15
Author: Seventyfive

Crandall Cab 2.0
Interesting no matter how unusual it is; thanks for the photos.

Date: 02/19/20 08:25
Author: alamode

Model is PU3200A-6 -- SD40-2 was the core

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.055 seconds