Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Monster freight and No. 6 at Truckee

Date: 03/24/20 14:51
Monster freight and No. 6 at Truckee
Author: Copy19

I tuned in on the Truckee webcam about a half an hour ago and saw a westbound freight waiting just east of the Bridge Street crossing.  It looked to me like it had six units on the headend.  It was hard to tell as the leader was hidden behind the food shop.  After a few minutes it began to to move.  It was a very long manifest with some double stacks near the rear.  It had two DPUs pushing on the rear.

Just as it disappeared up the hill No. 6 appeared and paused very briefly, less than a minute by the depot, then left town.  Business was light I guess.

JB - Omaha

Date: 03/24/20 15:11
Re: Monster freight and No. 6 at Truckee
Author: BlaineM

JB, This as been on my mind for some time.  I've watched this often where the train stops or the crew runs out of time.  Where would this West bound train originates to run out of time at Truckee.
Being a old man,  87 I watch Truckee often.
Thank you.
Blaine in American Fork

Date: 03/24/20 15:26

I've been told that No. 6 uses a cross-over west of Truckee so it can make its station stop in town on the track nearest the paaenger platform.  The westbounds have to wait until Amtrak clears that cross-over. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/20 15:27 by Copy19.

Date: 03/24/20 15:28
Author: traindave

wb freights normal hold just east of bridge street for eb traffic to clear the bighole, the grade leading up to the single track section roughly 8 miles west of truckee, is to steep trains would get stuck i guess if they stoped at shed 47. if you listen to the dispatch feed, you hear about this 

Date: 03/24/20 15:29

its 5 that has to cross over at east truckee to be on the right side, 6 is already on the number 1 track 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/20 15:32 by traindave.

Date: 03/24/20 15:45

So the westbounds run left-handed from Reno to East Truckee.  Then after the big hole they run right-handed?

JB - Omaha

Date: 03/24/20 15:51

not realy sure how they run em west of the bighole but west of switch 9 they run right track 

Date: 03/24/20 16:00
Author: ExSPCondr

traindave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not realy sure how they run em west of the bighole
> but west of switch 9 they run right track 

What about between Weimar and Rocklin?
G

Date: 03/24/20 16:33
Author: BobL

Copy19 Wrote:
> I've been told that No. 6 uses a cross-over west
> of Truckee so it can make its station stop in town
> on the track nearest the paaenger platform.  The
> westbounds have to wait until Amtrak clears that
> cross-over. 

About 10 years ago my wife and I took the 6 from Emeryville, stayed overnight in Truckee, and returned the next day on the 5. The 6 stopped on the track closest to the passenger platform making our exit easy but the 5, running hours late, stopped for us on the next track over, leaving us to scramble over the closest track to get to the train.  We were the only passengers they picked up at Truckee.  Although I tred to help her, it was a struggle for my wife.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/20 16:35 by BobL.

Date: 03/24/20 16:36

well about 9 miles west of colfax the number 1 track well i think it is crosses over the number 2 track and at rocklinn the number 2 track crosses over the number 1 track so between those two point track 1 is on your left heading west instead of your right like normal to complicate things lol but mostly right running to the bay area 

Date: 03/24/20 16:40

i think now they have to use the number 1 track in truckee, its come up a few times in radio chat abbout using the number 2 and the crew always says no they must use the number 1 
i seem to remember sometime last year when there was a issue at east truckee cross over,  amtrak 5 crossed over from 1 to 2 track at west truckee insted in reverse all the way to the depo to pick up passengers 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/20 16:48 by traindave.

Date: 03/24/20 17:01
Author: mukinduri

BlaineM, An old person is someone ten years older than you. So you're never old. Keep enjoying the Truckee 'cam and TO as I do. Jim at 75

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/20 17:02 by mukinduri.

Date: 03/24/20 17:26
Author: donner_dude1

ExSPCondr Wrote:
> traindave Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > not realy sure how they run em west of the
> bighole
> > but west of switch 9 they run right track 
>
> What about between Weimar and Rocklin?
> G

It varies. Most E/B trains use Main #2 from Rocklin to Bowman (Easier Grade- 40mph track vs 25-30mph track, more curves and tougher grade on Main 1). 

Intermodels will then use Main #1 from Bowman to Colfax (RV 140), harder grade but no tunnels. UP has not improved the tunnel clearance on Main #2 between those 2 points. All other traffic will use Main #2 to RV 140.

At RV 140 E/B Intermodels will then Switch back to Main #2 unless there is track work going on. In that case e/b trains will sometimes use Main #1.

There are exceptions to this. The last year or so the DS will *sometimes* send W/B's down Main 2 from Bowman to Rocklin if there are no opposing e/b trains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/20 17:44 by donner_dude1.

Date: 03/24/20 17:32
Author: donner_dude1

Copy19 Wrote:
> So the westbounds run left-handed from Reno to
> East Truckee.  Then after the big hole they run
> right-handed?
>
> JB - Omaha

Not always - From Norden to Shed 10 they can run em either track. Winter time during snow season they'll run em on what ever track is clear.

From Switch 9 to Colfax RV 140 the majority of the time they run e/b's on Main 2 and W/b's on Main 1.  It's bi-directional signaling between RV 140 and Switch 9 now so they can run em either way. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/20 17:33 by donner_dude1.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0662 seconds