Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Topeka, KS Adventure Part one

Date: 03/24/20 20:47
Topeka, KS Adventure Part one
Author: bath_wildcat

This afternoon, my wife decided to visit some family where I was able to play with a year old Pit Bull named Pluto.  hes a big ol baby, but im a bit roughed up from his playing (its ok, Im used to that). Little did I know my wife knew where the Amtrak station here in Topeka was and took me out there, but first a bit of something I had seen on youtube that I stumbled on by The Pennent downtown-this little park with BNSF.  

The replica BNSF ES44C4 is pretty good being from the Topeka shop forces (if any of you are on here, well done, looks amazing).  My wife decided to pose with the locomotive which was cool. I took a few more pics at that pocket park, including this map and the statue of Cyrus K. Holliday. 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 03/24/20 21:04
Re: Topeka, KS Adventure Part one

I photographed the rear of the locomotive just for comparison.  from there The wife and I went to the Topeka Amtrak Station where there was power a plenty.  I will have to look up some histories as is there a website like nsdash9.com for the BNSF side of things?

We have BNSF 1516 (Rebuilt EMD GP28M BN 1942(GP9) NP 363(GP9) Serial Number:24053 Order No: 5560 Frame Number: 5560-6 Built: 6/1958 coupled to BNSF 2728 which has had the so called brow extenstion for PTC 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 03/24/20 21:08

I then moved down the platform to photograph BNSF 6801, 6538, and BNSF 9772.  The cream and green was a treat considering how many are stored, this one active as it looked. 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 03/24/20 21:23

Two more of the Cream and green 9772.  LAst one of these I had seen was a couple of years ago on the NS Chicago line trailing on a BNSF grain train that came from Chciago, so seeing this one was pretty awesome. 

Then I photographed BNSF 2641 (Model: Rebuilt EMD GP35u BNSF 2641, ATSF 2941(GP35u) Built As: ATSF 1441 (GP35) Serial Number: 30586 Order No: 7809 Frame Number: 7809-57 Built: 10/1965 Notes: Ex-ATSF)

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 03/24/20 21:32

2641 was coupled to BNSF 2835 built as ATSF 3646 (GP39-2). 

I then phototed the yard and all the power. 

I shifted to the road crossing to photograph BNSF 6330 and BNSF 9038

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 03/24/20 21:36

I found out this I am guessing is where BNSF keeps the OCS cars as this is a zoomed in pic.  

The last two I tried something with the windows of Topeka station.  I wanted to try a reflection pic, however my first try I dont think they were very good.  

I will be out here tomorrow so any tips, suggestions, anything is of help to me.  

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 03/24/20 21:48
Author: santafe199

bath_wildcat Wrote: > ...  I will be out here tomorrow so any tips, suggestions ...

Here is my premature reply from earlier:

If your time schedule allows, find the Menoken Rd crossing on the west side of town. Good for morning shoots with predominant EB directional running. For scenery fodder you'll have cross-over plant signals & the US hwy 24 overpass in the background. Not a real busy crossing, so you shouldn't be bothered much at all. Good luck, and be safe out there...

Sorry about my jumping the gun... :^/
Lance/199

Date: 03/24/20 21:51

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bath_wildcat Wrote: > ...  I will be out here
> tomorrow so any tips, suggestions ...
>
> Here is my premature reply from earlier:
>
> If your time schedule allows, find the Menoken Rd
> crossing on the west side of town. Good for
> morning shoots with predominant EB directional
> running. For scenery fodder you'll have cross-over
> plant signals & the US hwy 24 overpass in the
> background. Not a real busy crossing, so you
> shouldn't be bothered much at all. Good luck, and
> be safe out there...
>
> Sorry about my jumping the gun... :^/
> Lance/199

ITs quite alright sir.  I did read your post and asked the wife where those were, as she doesnt know, however I may be able to use my PS if need be to find them.  Ihave a grade crossing locater app on my cell, so I can find them tat way.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 03/24/20 22:27
Author: santafe199

bath_wildcat Wrote: > ... asked the wife where those were, as she doesnt know ...

It's dead easy. Just find Topeka Blvd and cross the Kansas River. Go through North Topeka up to US 24. You'll have to negotiate an "N-Scale" cloverleaf intersection to head west on 24. After about 3 miles you'll catch glimpses of UP main line swerving closer to you from the south. Get off US 24 just short of the overpass and you'll be on Menoken Rd. You can find your way from there easy enough... :^)

Lance/199

Date: 03/28/20 20:02
Author: WLE2679

Nice selection of catches and power. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0897 seconds