Home Open Account Help 129 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Whozzat on my right shoulder?

Date: 03/26/20 08:04
Whozzat on my right shoulder?
Author: santafe199

The late Bill Gibson -WAG Sr- would have loved the coincidental, transposed numbers here! In a scene just backward from the norm, the train on the left (dim headlight) is running around the one on the right (bright headlight). I’m located on the BNSF main line in rural Lyon County, KS, experimenting with hand held, low light photography.

1. It’s near dark out here in the sticks east of Emporia, KS. BNSF 8016 is running around the right flank of BNSF 8106. Photo taken from the Rd R crossing with the Wiggam crossover plant several hundred yard behind me. It’s 6:41 PM on November 14, 2016.

Thanks for looking twice!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/20 08:05 by santafe199.

Date: 03/26/20 08:20
Re: Whozzat on my right shoulder?
Author: Gonut1

This social distancing and working from home in my dingy basement at home, where I can hear but not see the trains passing, is giving me double vision...
Gonut

Date: 03/26/20 08:45

Gonut1 Wrote: > ... giving me Double Vision ...

Who needs Foreigner, eh?  :^)

DJ Sir L

Date: 03/26/20 09:38
Author: bobdavis

That pic is seriously NICE!

Bob

Date: 03/26/20 10:35
Author: texchief1

Pretty good for hand held!

Randy Lundgren

Date: 03/26/20 10:57
Author: Ritzville

Nice shot with interesting numbers!

Larry

Date: 03/26/20 13:10
Author: rrman6

Lance, another good shot.  Just curious,  
Why wouldn't (dim light), being the passer, not have operating "ditch lights"?   Would these for some reason have been momentarily extinguished while passing?  

Date: 03/26/20 14:20

rrman6 Wrote: > ... momentarily extinguished while passing?  

I believe that's exactly what happened here. And it's a common thing, a sort of courtesy gesture for a hogger to dim the headlghts while passing a "live" cab. Once past that cab, the head/ditchlights came right back up. But it sure made for an odd scene... :^)

Lance

Date: 03/26/20 16:00
Author: rrman6

That's great!  As a fan it's always a good feeling watching the friendly acknowledgements between passing trainmen and sounds like this was one.  You were the lucky catcher. Thanks!

Date: 03/26/20 20:12
Author: SCKP187

Cool rare shot.  I've experienced something similar on the Wagoner Sub UP back in the track warrant days---dispatcher and crews really had a lot of chatter when they were setting up a meet and "not until the arrival of . . ."
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds