Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Butte Anaconda and Pacific questions

Date: 03/26/20 11:35
Butte Anaconda and Pacific questions
Author: zephyrus

Been curious for a while what industries the BA&P currently serves.  In looking at Google Earth, there seems to be the industry (smelter?) on the mine site in Butte, a waste dirt facility outside Anaconda and maybe a couple more trackside industries.  Doe they really have much traffic?

Also wondered why BNSF is so intent on staying in the area.  Aside from a couple industries in Butte and the UP interchange at Silver Bow (and UP seems to serve the industries around Silver Bow and the Port of Montana), there doesn't seem to be much traffic at all.

TIA.

Z

Date: 03/26/20 11:58
Re: Butte Anaconda and Pacific questions
Author: arelpy

BNSF appears to have a fair amount of industry in the area.  I'm not sure how much those industries ship or receive, though.

Date: 03/26/20 12:59
Author: BigSkyBlue

zephyrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Also wondered why BNSF is so intent on staying in
> the area.  

BNSF does NOT want MRL to connect with UP.   BSB

Date: 03/26/20 13:06
Author: callum_out

Which is a weird argument since UP wants to dump the Silver Bow line.

Out

Date: 03/26/20 13:51

Ah, BNSF keeping MRL away from UP is something I had not considered.  And, yeah, as mentioned, I had heard UP would like to dump the Silver Bow line.

Would be quite interesting to see an expanded BA&P take over both lines.  

Z

Date: 03/26/20 13:52

arelpy Wrote:
> BNSF appears to have a fair amount of industry in
> the area.  I'm not sure how much those industries
> ship or receive, though.
>  

Interesting.  From Google Earth, some of these don't look to have spurs anymore.  Or just hard to see.

Thanks for sharing.

Z

Date: 03/26/20 15:08

It's deceiving because the shots you see of the trains appear to be in the 40 car range. 

Out 

Date: 03/26/20 18:38
Author: donner_dude1

Here's a shot from 2011 of the BNSF local serving the trackage south east of the city along Rowe Road. I think this is ex-CMSTP trackage(?).

I caught it by accident as it was leaving the main Butte Yard.  It made 3 stops heading eastbound. I let it go after that since I had to shoot MRL that afternoon.

Date: 03/26/20 18:41
Author: up833

NP had a 999 year lease with the UP. Its still in effect.  BNSF sub-leased to Montana Western Railroad and they finally asked to be let out of the lease, which BNSF complied with that request. and moved to take over operations to avoid loss of service to customers.  I would think that Montana Resources is the largest shipper.
RB
Corrected per Dave/Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/20 22:11 by up833.

Date: 03/26/20 20:10

Nice shot on the ex-MLW mainline. That line serves a large industrial park as well as a utility main yard which receives poles
by rail. 

Out 

Date: 03/26/20 21:36
Author: brc600

MRL wants rights to Salt Lake City and Boise. The UP-SP merger issue, the Washington family  railroads requested many trackage rights. Ideally, MRL takes over Butte-Pocatello-Salt Lake City-Las Vegas-Barstow/Yermo. KCS wanted Kansas City to Denver to Sacramento, etc.

zephyrus Wrote:
> Ah, BNSF keeping MRL away from UP is something I
> had not considered.  And, yeah, as mentioned, I
> had heard UP would like to dump the Silver Bow
> line.
>
> Would be quite interesting to see an expanded BA&P
> take over both lines.  
>
> Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/20 06:18 by brc600.

Date: 03/27/20 06:11
Author: monaddave

up833 Wrote:
<< NP had a 99 year lease with the UP. Its still in effect.  BNSF sub-leased to Montana Railroad and >>

Allow me to correct some typos, it's a 999 year lease (three nines) and the short line was Montana Western. BNSF keeps a pair of 6 axles units (as of late, MACs) and a pair of Geeps to use as a Butte switcher. Their Copper City Sub local goes to work in Butte (M-F) about 0800, works Silver Bow (UP & BA&P interchange), Deer Lodge (Sun Mountain Lumber) and Garrison (MRL interchange). They usually are headed back to Butte by mid-afternoon.

And back to the original post... BA&P keeps a pair of Geeps at Silver Bow for switching customers in Butte (weekdays). About the only business west of Silver Bow might be EPA clean up trains which don't seem to run very often. Power for that is kept inside at Anaconda.
Dave in Msla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/20 06:25 by monaddave.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0609 seconds