Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Watt If #2 Flint Hills

Date: 04/08/20 08:24
Watt If #2 Flint Hills
Author: ntharalson

Here's another "what if" thought.  As Lance/santafe 199 has posted, work has started south/railroad west of Matfield, Green, KS, to double track the Emporia Sub.  
I got to wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper and faster to connect the Elinor, Gladstone and Bazaar Sidings north of Matfield Green and the Cassoday, Aikman, Chelsea
and El Dorado sidings south of Matfield Green?  I would also think it would be a lot easier too.  Plus there's a kind of tough grade out of Matfield Green to Cassoday.
Maybe that's why they're doing that stretch first.  Waht do you think?  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 04/08/20 08:53
Re: Watt If #2 Flint Hills
Author: Milw_E70

Umm that’s essentially the plan...

Chelsea to Aikman - 2020
Aikman to Matfield - 2021
Ellinor to Bazar - 2021
El Dorado to Chelsea - 2022
East Jct Mulvane to West Augusta - 2022
Matfield to Bazar - 2023

The sidings at Bazar and Cassoday will remain in place.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/20 08:58 by Milw_E70.

Date: 04/08/20 11:04
Author: monaddave

<<wouldn't be cheaper and faster to connect the Elinor, Gladstone and Bazaar Sidings >>

Between Ellinor and Gladstone is a pretty good sized bridge needed across the Cottonwood River, so that wouldn't be cheaper. 

I'm currious what they will do just east of East Matfield. 

Dave in Missoula

Date: 04/08/20 12:32
Author: trainman

Would have been better to just re double track Newton to Ellinor because bridges , etc. are already there . It was originally all double track.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/08/20 16:31
Author: santafe199

trainman Wrote: > ...  better to just re double track Newton to Ellinor ...

Nice try, but why double track a route that is at the very least an hour longer in running time. Even with the elevated line thru downtown Wichita there would still be busy public street crossings to deal with. Between Ellinor & Augusta virtually all crossings are rural in nature. Plus, I have an idea the 1st St/Rail Mill area in Newton would become a bottle neck headache BNSF doesn't want to deal with. Persoanlly I'd love to see Ellinor ~ Newton double tracked like it (sorta) was back when SFe ran over 20 passenger trains a day back & forth over that stretch...

Lance

Date: 04/08/20 17:09
Author: trainman

Lance...I know that but I don't want to lose the trains I have running through Peabody now . Especially after building a depot to watch them from ! Kinda biased . Lol

Posted from Android

Date: 04/08/20 17:48
Author: santafe199

trainman Wrote: > ...  I don't want to lose the trains I have running through Peabody now ...

Yepper. I knew that as well. Have faith. You never know what the future holds. Maye Uncle Warren will find a reason to keep a few trains running that way. I do look forward to the day ...provided I get enough lead time... when I can hustle down there in time to shoot #4 in that perfect morning light... :^)

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds