Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cajon Pass, Years Ago

Date: 05/23/20 13:20
Cajon Pass, Years Ago
Author: cchan006

I believe this was late 2016 or early 2017. Astute observers might notice the damage left by the fire that ravaged Cajon Pass in the summer of 2016. Hwy 138 realignment was still in its infancy (old alignment), and K-Line containers were still everywhere, as they weren't converted to pink ONE (Ocean Network Express) boxes, yet. 

GE's new Tier 4 locomotives were still in fashion back then, so I was following the intermodal train up Cajon Pass, especially since it had CSX pool power in the consist. I also noticed an MWCRV-ish train on the Palmdale Cutoff, a chance to document a "race."

I didn't want to drive to Hill 582 (fire damage) but was able to navigate on forest roads already travelled (avoid further damage), and walked to this spot somewhere west of Silverwood.

Based on mapboy's info on LA&SL trains around that time, the stacker could have been a KTSLN4 or KLBG2. No more K trains in the PSR era, and I haven't seen a train this "red" in ages.

The 5:20 video is long, and I did some slow zooms and pans to break the monotony, but you've been warned. I show both trains in their entirety.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/24/20 08:26
Re: Cajon Pass, Years Ago
Author: ntharalson

Nice video, thanks for posting.  It looked like you were close to MP57.25X on the North track(s).  

So who won the race?  It looked pretty close but the manifest might have had a slight edge.  

OT:  Can someone detail the consolidations in the ocean shipping industry?  For sure I didn't know about K line becoming Ocean Network Express.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0271 seconds