Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 2532 Leading the IOANP at Truckee (Donner Pass)

Date: 07/02/20 07:21
UP 2532 Leading the IOANP at Truckee (Donner Pass)
Author: broken_link

I shot this eastbound on the east slope of Donner Pass last Sunday, June 28th. When I first spotted the train at East Norden heading into Tunnel 41, I thought it was the ZLTG2 or ZLTG2B, as I only saw the domestic stacks on the front of the train. I headed down to a spot along the Truckee River east of town to shoot the video. When the train came by, I realized there was a large section of marine containers located in the middle of the train, followed again by more domestic stacks, and then finally a few misplaced hitchhikers tacked onto the back.

So the question, which train was this, the IOANP, ZLTG2, or ZLTG2B? Thanks in advance.

Sean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/20 17:09 by broken_link.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/02/20 07:28
Re: UP 2532 Leading the IOANP or ZLTG2/B at Truckee (Donner Pass)
Author: SP8595

Nice shot! It was the IOANP-28

Date: 07/02/20 07:31

Thank you and thank you. I had suspected it was the IOANP once I saw the marine containers, but I wasn't 100% certain. Appreciate the info.

Sean

SP8595 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shot! It was the IOANP-28

Date: 07/02/20 07:34
Author: 55002

Excellent uploads, the still photo is superb. chris uk.

Date: 07/02/20 08:35
Author: photobob

Beautiful shot in a great location. Nice work.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 07/02/20 10:45
Author: DynamicBrake

Sean,
Great composition in a great location!   The video was equally good.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 07/02/20 12:42
Author: donner_dude1

Nice Picture.

The Z-LTG2 will typically have a lot of Trailers at the end of the train. Saturday's version had 1/2 Stacks and 1/2 Trailers with at least 10 UPS trailers which is the most I've seen.

When I've seen the Z-LTG2B it's typically late night through Sacramento (10-11 pm) and it usually has a mid train DPU.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/20 19:43 by donner_dude1.

Date: 07/02/20 13:58

Thanks. I believe I saw last Saturday's ZLTG2 on the Truckee Webcam when I was trying to figure out and calibrate the accuracy of the ATCS Monitor. I was also surprised to see the UPS trailers on the end, as I haven't personally seen as many trailers on UP trains over Donner Pass in recent years. I believe it rolled through in the afternoon, iirc, but I had that cam up off and on throughout the day.

I've managed to catch the ZLTG2B early in the morning. It's usually through Soda Springs before sunrise. I shot it at Floriston and Verdi back in May...
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5032590,5033990#msg-5033990

This might be one that's worthwhile to grab in the canyon east of Sparks sometime, as I believe they usually have a crew change in Sparks. (Based on radio chatter I've heard.)

Sean

donner_dude1 Wrote:
> Nice Picture.
>
> The Z-LTG2 will have typically have a lot of
> Trailersat the end of the train. Saturday's
> version had 1/2 Stacks and 1/2 Trailers with at
> least 10 UPS trailers which is the most I've
> seen.
>
> When I've seen the Z-LTG2B it's typically late
> night through Sacramento (10-11 pm) and it usualy
> has a mid train DPU.

Date: 07/02/20 18:19
Author: wyeth

broken_link Wrote:
> Thanks. I believe I saw last Saturday's ZLTG2 on
> the Truckee Webcam when I was trying to figure out
> and calibrate the accuracy of the ATCS Monitor. I
> was also surprised to see the UPS trailers on the
> end, as I haven't personally seen as many trailers
> on UP trains over Donner Pass in recent years.

In the last few years, I remember hearing about UP handling what amounts to a few UPS trailers that originate out of the south Bay Area.  I'm am surprised that UPS is still using UP for this though.

I'm kind'a expecting UP to just combine all these eastbound intermodal trains into just one gigantic monster - seems to be their PSR montra.

Date: 07/03/20 10:19
Author: coach

That's a gorgeous photo--the detail of the distant peaks and trees is excellent!  All the colors seem balanced and normal--really great photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/20 10:20 by coach.

Date: 07/04/20 15:08
Author: OldPorter

I love the old rusty Gondola Car on the Rear- they have always been among my favorite
freight Cars, since the days when my Dad and I, used to run them on our Lionel plywood
Railroad, w/ turnouts, beacon Signals and lighted signal switches. Thanks for posting!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0698 seconds