Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > New world record: Standing high jump!

Date: 07/05/20 11:48
New world record: Standing high jump!
Author: santafe199

for under 10 year-olds

On America’s 244th birthday I was over in my second hometown to shoot Abilene & Smoky Valley’s ex-Santa Fe #3415. After missing the beloved 4-6-2 all of 2019 it was a happy reunion with an old friend who I’ve been chasing & shooting for 10 years. As I mentioned yesterday, it never gets old…

1. The 3415 brought the train over from Abilene in the morning sunshine. Perfectly set up for photographers on the chase. The 3415 has cut off & run around its train. And she’s now nosing into ex-UP caboose 25466 for the bass-ackward return trip. The crew’s flagman is guiding the engineer into the joint…

2. …which was successful. The flagman is now “in between”, lacing up the air hoses.

3. Meanwhile, off to the side the whole process is being watched through young eyes of pure wonderment. With Huck looking on, Tom is explaining to Becky: “When I grow up, I wanna be as big as one of them wheels!” He would undoubtedly be pointing toward the 3415’s drivers!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/20 11:54 by santafe199.

Date: 07/05/20 11:51
Re: New world record: Standing high jump!

The routine air test is in progress, complete with signals from the 3415’s melodic but loud whistle. Events are still being watched from the gallery

4. After a short but shrill whistle signal during the ongoing air test all-American machismo is still emanating from brave young Messrs. Huck & Tom. But little Becky, whose IQ just might be higher than the other 2 combined has her hands in close & very safe proximity of her own tender ears.

5. The 3415 + company is now air-tested and ready for departure, and is drifting toward the Bridge St crossing, where I’m set up. A full & VERY LOUD crossing sequence is just milliseconds away…

6. Ya know…… as a photographer there are times when you KNOW 100% something is going to happen. And you’re still not quick enough to capture it. From the very first seconds of the very avid engineer’s use of the 3415’s whistle ALL said machismo vanished immediately, replaced with a LOUD steam-powered, audible thrill of a lifetime. Even though these young sprouts nearly karate-chopped their little heads off covering their ears, the beaming smiles on their collective faces tell the real story. They loved having the be-jeepers scared right out of them! This is very likely their first experience with steam railroading, up close & personal. And I’m wondering how many of them will end up being at least quasi-railfans because of Saturday July 4, 2020.
(All photos taken in Enterprise , KS)

(Question: Can 3 startled, all-American young sprouts jump 11 feet, 17 & 9/8 inches straight up in the air -in perfect unison, mind you- and come straight back down without uncovering their ears???
Answer*: YES THEY CAN … ;^)

Thanks for jumping so high!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

(*Gimme a couple of cold, frosty Coors Lights and I’ll swear to it… :^)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/20 11:58 by santafe199.

Date: 07/05/20 13:31
Author: valmont

Classic pictures, classic narrative .... classic combination: kids & trains!!!

Great post Lance!!!!

Date: 07/05/20 13:53
Author: Railfan4Christ

Wonderful post, Lance!

Tom

Date: 07/05/20 15:38
Author: trainman

Lol. But I was like one of those small sprouts when the powers that be , allowed anyone to climb in the cab and blow the whistle on the very first steam up !

Posted from Android

Date: 07/05/20 16:08
Author: twjurgens

Great post and story!!

Date: 07/05/20 18:20
Author: agentatascadero

Dang, too bad you failed to document your amazing claim.......11 feet, 17 and 9/8 feet standing high jump.  Speaking of "high" 199, one must wonder!  So far as I can tell, there is NO air between those sneakers and the ground.  I'm sure you can explain it, but how???

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/06/20 07:39
Author: switchlock

Very nice, Sir!  I wish I could stand the heat & humidity like I useda could.

Date: 07/06/20 09:31

switchlock Wrote: > ...I wish I could stand the heat & humidity like I ...... (insert loooooong sigh here) ......

I hear ya, bro!!! And, like almost everybody else on this thread I've no doubt you would have loved seeing those little kids' antics! But I'll let you & the fencepost in on a little secret: Almost my entire day's images were taken from inside the friendly confines of my Nissan Rogue (Willie IV)'s air conditioning. Except for that ear-clapping shot. I knew it was coming so I HAD to get outta the rig to make sure I could nail it...

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/20 09:43 by santafe199.

Date: 07/06/20 09:37
Author: goneon66

i don't get much better than this.  young ones enjoying trains.

great post...........

Date: 07/06/20 15:38
Author: agentatascadero

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i don't get much better than this.  young ones
> enjoying trains.
>
> great post...........
>
> 66
Ain't that the truth!!  199, if you ever shoot video.....those three little ones would have been great material, then you might have caught them in the air.  I have a feeling those three took us all back.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/06/20 16:39
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the post...

Date: 07/08/20 14:29
Author: SD45X

Awesome !

Date: 06/22/22 06:25

agentatascadero Wrote:

> ... Dang, too bad you failed to document your amazing claim.......11 feet, 17 and 9/8 feet standing high jump.  Speaking of "high" 199, one must wonder!  So far as I can tell, there is NO air between those sneakers and the ground.  I'm sure you can explain it, but how???

> ... AH

Just in case

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds