Western Railroad Discussion > Mystery Box

Date: 07/05/20 21:08
Mystery Box
Author: Fiftyfooter

HS 72164 Cameron!

Date: 07/06/20 07:29
Re: Mystery Box
Author: JDLX

Looks like the H&S was largely abandoned In 1992, what’s left is in the G&W empire, part of their Chattahoochee Bay Railroad. But, keep in mind Itel Rail owned the H&S from the early ‘70s to the early ‘90s, and like Itel’s other roads their reporting marks got applied to a whole lot of cars that otherwise had nothing to do with the registered road. Also likely Itel sold the “rights” to use the HS reporting marks to GE Capital along with their railcars fleet when they got out of transportation, which probably means it is now owned or managed by Wells Fargo since they bought GE’s railcars a couple years back.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/06/20 08:58
Author: Rmosele

JDLX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like the H&S was largely abandoned In 1992,
> what’s left is in the G&W empire, part of their
> Chattahoochee Bay Railroad. But, keep in mind
> Itel Rail owned the H&S from the early ‘70s to
> the early ‘90s, and like Itel’s other roads
> their reporting marks got applied to a whole lot
> of cars that otherwise had nothing to do with the
> registered road. Also likely Itel sold the
> “rights” to use the HS reporting marks to GE
> Capital along with their railcars fleet when they
> got out of transportation, which probably means it
> is now owned or managed by Wells Fargo since they
> bought GE’s railcars a couple years back.
>
> Jeff Moore
> Elko, NV
>
> Posted from iPhone

That's a complicated pedigree for sure but I guess not unusual. Thanks for the info.

Date: 07/06/20 09:36
Author: dwatry

Darn.  I thought maybe HS meant California High Speed Rail was going into the freight business!

Date: 07/06/20 20:45
Author: winstonhill

I think many years ago Hattiesburg & Southern used the HS reporting marks.
Winston Hill

Date: 07/06/20 22:31
Author: JDLX

I cannot seem to find anything immediately on a Hattiesburg & Southern.  I've located info on a Bonhomie & Hattiesburg Southern Railroad though.  But I just might have not yet lifted the right corner of the internet carpet. 

As for the HS reporting marks, on one of the sites that tracks reporting marks as referenced from Official Railway Equipment Registers (http://www.nakina.net/other/report/report.html) I find the following history:

Hartford and Slocomb R.R. Co., 1/1975 until eliminated 10/1992.
H&S Railroad Company, 10/1992-7/2005
Chattahoochee Bay Rd., Inc since 4/2007.

If you want to get an idea of who's actually using the reporting marks it helps to get your hands on a copy of an appropriate ORER and see to whom car hire or repair remittances are to be submitted.  

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds