Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Short Stop in Crockett

Date: 07/05/20 21:48
Short Stop in Crockett
Author: dwatry

What do you do in a pandemic if not buy a new lens for your camera on ebay?  So I bought my first Canon "L" lens (28-300 zoom) and wanted to test it out.  So a quick stop in Crockett CA for 3 passenger trains.  All shots taken from the public walkway for the new Carquinez Straits I-80 bridge, which appears in pictures 2 and 3. 

1)  First up is train #6 - eastbound CZ on 7/4/20.  That's the California Maritime Academy ship "Golden Bear" moored across the strait, and the city visible up the channel on the other side is Vallejo.  
2)  Next is westbound San Joaquin #711 with 2 single-level coaches.  The 2 bridges in the background are for I-80.  The closest one is the relatively new replacement bridge for westbound traffic (and a public walkway), replacing the original bridge, which has been taken down.  The other bridge is for eastbound and has no public walkway.
3)  Next is an eastbound Capitol Corridor, pushed by one of the new Siemens SC-44 locos. 

Date: 07/05/20 21:55
Re: Short Stop in Crockett

The previous day it had been overcast, but I tried a few shots on a dark morning with the new lens.

5)  Southbound Coast Starlight Train #11 in Berkeley at Virginia Ave on 7/3/20.
6)  Eastbound CZ #6 at Point Pinole on 7/3/20.
7)  Later in the day the sun came out and I caught an SF Muni new Flyer trolleycoach on the #1 line in Laurel Heights.  Not a train but it is electric traction!

Date: 07/06/20 04:48
Author: bmarti7

So what happens to public transport when PG&E shuts down the grid because of high winds? Nice shots!

BB

Date: 07/06/20 07:56
Author: icancmp193

bmarti7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what happens to public transport when PG&E
> shuts down the grid because of high winds? Nice
> shots!
>
> BB

I don't think any outages thus far have affected the City proper. They prefer to stick it to more suburban and rural areas.

TJY

Date: 07/06/20 08:46
Author: milepost20

bmarti7 Wrote:
> shots!
>
> BB

While most of the city's residents are at the mercy of PG&E
the Municipal Railway receives its power from the hydroelectric
Hetch Hetchy Water and Power System.

Date: 07/06/20 09:34

True but the transmission of the power from Hetch Hetchy is still over PG&E lines.  SFPUC does not own its own transmission system (owner of Hetch Hetchy).   But to my knowledge no shutdowns of the Muni OCS system have happened due to PG&E shutdowns. 

Date: 07/06/20 10:06
Author: PHall

PG&E does not shut down everything, they shut down specific circuits. So yes they can shut down power for hills above Daly City and still leave the power to the Muni power station in the city untouched.

Date: 07/07/20 00:17
Author: danf

When there is a problem with the overhead lines, they bring out the diesel buses. As for planned power outages due to wind, not likely to happen in SF. We don't have a wildfire problem in the city (barring any major earthquakes). That's more of an issue for the outlying areas.

bmarti7 Wrote:
> shots!
>
> BB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds