Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Deseret Power Rwy

Date: 07/08/20 14:09
Deseret Power Rwy
Author: SD45X

Morning train late today. Almost 0900 to leave and was already loaded. MP 1.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/08/20 15:17
Re: Deseret Power Rwy
Author: Copy19

Always wondered what an electric sounded like.

JB - Omaha

Date: 07/08/20 22:01
Author: roustabout

Great video...thank you!

Date: 07/09/20 08:39
Author: hawkeye

It sounds like they are in dynamic brake mode.

Date: 07/09/20 10:52
Author: fbe

When possible electrics use regenerative braking where the traction motors put current back into the overhead to be used by other trains or returned to the grid. This is a challenge in AC account the need to synchronize the frequencies. Some electric systems have used dynamic brakes on the locomotives to dissipate electricity generated downhill as heat through resistance grids.

Date: 07/09/20 11:50
Author: 2ebright

Back in August 2012, I was the recipient of a cab ride on the Deseret Power Ry from the loadout to the power plant and return. Wow, a 70 mile ride. This ride was offered by the RR Superintendent and it took me less than a microsecond to accept his offer. I took a lot of pictures that day and some of them show the E60’s control stand. On the photo there are 3 blue colored control levers. I think the lower one is the reverser, the center one is the throttle and the upper one is the Dynamic Brake controller. If I have made a mistake in naming these controls, please correct me; I'm not a rail, only a retired Geologist. To the immediate right of the upper lever is a metal plate reading; “CAUTION; TO PREVENT EQUIPMENT DAMAGE WHEN CHANGING FROM POWER TO DYNAMIC BRAKING OR FROM DYNAMIC BRAKING TO POWER PAUSE 10 SECONDS WITH THROTTLE ????? DYNAMIC BRAKING OFF” So, it looks to me that, yes, the Deseret Power Ry.'s E60's have dynamic brakes. The photo is a little out of focus, but if you zoom in it is entirely readable except where blocked by equipment handles.   Dick Ebright, Roosevelt, Utah

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/20 16:20 by 2ebright.

Date: 07/09/20 12:19
Author: PHall

Standard FRA Standard control stand, GE version. And the 10 second delay going between Power and Dynamic Braking or vice versa is standard too.
It's been in every EMD and GE operating manual since the 1960's. Takes a few seconds for the switch gear to reposition.

Date: 07/09/20 13:04
Author: fbe

The 10 sec delay is largely to allow the electric fields to decay to neutral. If your trainee does not make the pause the result is a lot of lurching in the locomotives.

Date: 07/09/20 15:22
Author: atsf121

Nice video, still need to catch that train one of these days. Where the last 3 cars ballast cars?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/09/20 18:34
Author: cozephyr

Yes, the last three cars were side dump ballast cars.

Westbound Deseret Power Railway with DPR-1, E60C, up front just railroad west of Midway south of Dinosaur, Colorado, 7 July 2020.  NO sound.

Date: 07/10/20 17:19
Author: SD45X

They were in power leaving the loadout. The 10 second delay is to allow the field to decay around the traction motors (DC) to prevent a flashover. Can be catastrophic.

Same day empty in dynamic brakes decending Holum Pass (mp4) at 40mph.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds