Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 1988 and the MOGRV

Date: 07/28/20 20:28
UP 1988 and the MOGRV
Author: cchan006

On Sunday morning, I saw a post on heritageunits.com of the MKT Heritage Unit (UP 1988, "Miss Katy") leading an MOGRV (Ogden, UT to Roseville, CA) over Donner. After making rough calculations (not accurate in the PSR era), I grabbed my foamer gear, headed out, and made the ~170 mile drive to intercept the train.

I ended up catching the 8x1 MOGRV at Clipper Gap, Newcastle, and Roseville. The entire train is shown at Clipper Gap.

Next day, Miss Katy went up the Valley Sub and was photobob'd:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5072994

That's it for the quick report.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/28/20 22:04
Re: UP 1988 and the MOGRV
Author: oyw

Sweet!

Date: 07/29/20 09:37
Author: SCUfoamer

It was great catching up at the depot after this chase. We missed you at Bloomer! I like the Newcastle shot and it makes me wonder if I've inspried some superzoom shots :)

Date: 07/29/20 13:31
Author: cchan006

SCUfoamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was great catching up at the depot after this chase.
> We missed you at Bloomer! I like the Newcastle shot
> and it makes me wonder if I've inspried some superzoom shots

Had MOGRV ran closer to my estimate (about an hour earlier), I would have been at Bloomer to meet you guys. My scanner picked up EOTD chirps between Bowman and Applegate, and even though I guessed that it was not from the MOGRV (maybe stray signals from Roseville), I didn't want to miss the train waiting in the takeout line at Colfax or driving around searching for lit signals, so I settled on Clipper Gap, which was in middle of the "fake" EOTD chirps.

Too bad Clipper Gap is a little too close to Bloomer for a safe chase. I passed the front of the train just past Foresthill Rd. exit on I-80.

Keep posting your great reports, and keep inspiring! :-)

Date: 07/29/20 13:47
Author: jimB

Good shots, Charles. The Newcastle shot is from what I call my 'light at the end of the tunnel'  spot. Every time I hear the cliche I think of that spot!

Jim B

Date: 07/30/20 17:45
Author: lodiboi209

Very cool! We had just pulled into our parking spot in downtown Truckee when it passed by. I was lucky to randomly catch it! =)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2436 seconds