Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tired of Deseret Power yet?

Date: 07/30/20 21:57
Tired of Deseret Power yet?
Author: SD45X

So yesterday we chased the third train of the day over Holum Pass,  MP 5.
Then we hustled up to MP 27 and wasted a new tire. So I scrambled down the tracks about a hundred yards and set up..........
Then we hung the spare and headed to Vernal to tie up.
Next morning we shot the first of three at MP 27. And made it to MP 23 and wasted the spare........Nursed it down to the highway and called for help at Rangely. Feller came out promptly and fetched me into town and we hung a used tire on the spare and hauled me back and nailed it on:) 
We had 30 minutes to spare when the second train came through Midway:)
We called it quits, went to Grand Jct and procured two fresh tires, did a bikini shoot and headed to Cimarron to shoot DRGW 278 display. Weird day for sure......

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/31/20 00:06
Re: Tired of Deseret Power yet?
Author: cozephyr

Great Deseret Power Rly coverage.  Glad your camera survived the 'nose dive'.  Tires taking a beating out there-!

Date: 07/31/20 05:40
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice. Looks like the ground actually shook as the last train passed. Great looking operation and unlike the BMLP, nice clean, matching power.
JB

Date: 07/31/20 07:53
Author: FiveChime

Great rare videos!  

Not that too many probably care, but those electrics have a very unique Nathan five chime horn, the P5 using a zero bell that Amtrak ordered only
for those locomotives. Nice to hear it used in your videos.

Thanks for your effort

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 07/31/20 08:07
Author: koloradokid

FiveChime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great rare videos!  
>
> Not that too many probably care, but those
> electrics have a very unique Nathan five chime
> horn, the P5 using a zero bell that Amtrak ordered
> only
> for those locomotives. Nice to hear it used in
> your videos.
>
> Thanks for your effort
>
> Regards, Jim Evans

Amtrak??? Where did Amtrak come into play on these freight units? These were all built for NdeM if memory serves me right. The only Amtrak electric units out west were down on the Navajo Mines and the occasional unit for testing at the test track in Colorado.

Robert
And Darin, were you doing some serious off roading, or are the Utah back highways worse than I remember?

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/20 08:14 by koloradokid.

Date: 07/31/20 09:31
Author: 2ebright

The first two units were built by GE especially for the Deseret Western Ry (as it was called then) as their first power. Then the power company decided that they need to run longer trains and so the RR went shopping. They purchased several used ex NdeM locos including several for parts. 2 of their 4 active E60's are ex. NdeM. I love how those horns sound!      

Dick Ebright                                                                                                                             
Roosevelt, Utah

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/20 09:58 by 2ebright.

Date: 07/31/20 10:48
Author: koloradokid

2ebright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first two units were built by GE especially
> for the Deseret Western Ry (as it was called then)
> as their first power. Then the power company
> decided that they need to run longer trains and so
> the RR went shopping. They purchased several used
> ex NdeM locos including several for parts. 2 of
> their 4 active E60's are ex. NdeM. I love how
> those horns sound!      
>
>
>   Dick Ebright
>                          
>                          
>                          
>                          
>                         
> Roosevelt, Utah

I thought the 1 & 2 were built for Mexico but never delivered?  I vaguely remember the controls have/had Spanish labels, or did when I got to ride way back when (84?).

so, are they starting their day at 0700 and 1500 now?  Trying to include the DR into my visit next week.

Robert

Date: 07/31/20 11:28
Author: SD45X

This week was three trains a day. So I don't know how long they will continue this schedule. I suggest being at the mine before 0530 to see if it's loading. If so run to Utah side as they will be at the power plant around sunrise.
Otherwise it will be same schedule 0700-1500

Date: 07/31/20 11:45
Author: 2ebright

They haven't run 3 trains a day for several years, so this is something new. I suspect, without any evidence, that maybe the mine is going to move their longwall machine. They do it periodically, and it takes 2 weeks or so. So in anticipation of this they will run extra trains to build up their stockpile. As I said, this is only a quess on my part so take it for what its worth; which is not much.

Dick Ebright

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/20 11:45 by 2ebright.

Date: 07/31/20 16:48
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the videos...

Date: 07/31/20 20:53
Author: brc600

Can we see the bikini shoot? LOL!

Date: 08/02/20 16:23
Author: wabash2800

I found your great videos very interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

However, I understand they are electric locomotives, but they certainly have a rumbling sound as if they have prime movers. Please explain! I don't rememer the GG1s sounding like that.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 04:08 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0737 seconds