Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fixin' to rain!

Date: 07/31/20 10:07
Fixin' to rain!
Author: santafe199

On a recent trip to Kansas City I dutifully obeyed a railfan law which says: “When travelling, take advantage of all RR photo-opportunities whenever possible.” So after I caught this eastbound coal train NW of Topeka I knew I would easily see it again on the other side of town. One problem arose, though. During my transit from one side of Topeka to the other good ol’ Mama Nature decided to throw a little spat. As I waited at Calhoun Bluffs that mean ol’ gal rolled the clouds in on me. I wondered which I would get first, the photos or an unwanted shower…

1. & 2. UP 5657 & 6213 lead a loaded coal train up to the NE Calhoun Bluff RD (spur) crossing while some gnarly clouds are swirling up above.

3. DP unit 8509 is catching the first few drops of an imminent deluge*. I JUST got back into my rig as that deluge let go! But I got a free carwash outta the deal…
(3 photos taken July 28, 2020 at Calhoun Bluffs NE of Topeka, KS)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

*and wouldn’t ya know, not too much later in the day I would find huge white clouds & blazing sunshine less than 30 miles away…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/20 10:07 by santafe199.

Date: 07/31/20 11:05
Re: Fixin' to rain!
Author: WW

A very nice set of photos.  Sunshine isn't always what it's cracked up to be when photographing trains.  Viva "storm light."

Date: 07/31/20 11:34
Author: mg8711

That’s actually not too bad of a shot with a train on the north main, a lot better than on the south track. Hmm.
mg8711

Date: 07/31/20 11:43

mg8711 Wrote: > ... not too bad ... on the north main ...

Yeahhhh... I think while I was doing the classic "US 24 end-around", this guy took Main 1 to skate around another train on Main 2 (westbound) dropping down on the GSR...

:^)

Date: 07/31/20 11:45
Author: Ritzville

Nice shots of train with storm clouds, LIKE!

Larry

Date: 07/31/20 17:44
Author: ntharalson

From what I've heard, you guys could use the rain!  So I guess the whole thing is a bonus: train and rain stay mainly on the plain!  (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)  

Good stuff Lance, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/31/20 19:30
Author: TAW

Looks like an ordinary winter day in Seattle...or spring for that matter...or, fall pretty much. That's with or without rain. I seem to remember from my midwest days that the rain wasn't really a big thing unless the sky was turning kind of green.

TAW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/20 23:06 by TAW.

Date: 07/31/20 19:42

ntharalson Wrote: > ...  train and rain stay mainly on the plain! 

Yikes! Give me a heads-up next time you feel an urge to rhyme. I'll go swig down a stiff shot, first... (heh heh heh)

;^)

Date: 08/01/20 04:45
Author: texchief1

Like the DPU shot the best!

RC Lundgren

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds