Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Milo & coal & wind

Date: 08/01/20 01:34
Milo & coal & wind
Author: santafe199

In this trio of photos three very different industries are convergent in Marshall County, Kansas. This county’s reputation as the “Milo Capital of the World” is evident here in fertile farm land. Other than the noise of the train, it’s utterly quiet under this gorgeous sky full of white dumpling clouds. A railfan photographer’s delight…

1. Two disparate industries coexist as UP 7964 is pointing a coal empty through the milo fields. This 18mm view is looking east from the rural 23rd Road crossing NE of Beattie, KS.

2. & 3. Now looking south from 23rd Rd’s nearby intersection with Harvest Rd we see a 3rd industry sneaking into the scene in the form of windfarm blades above the empty coal bunkers. It’s wind-driven energy vs coal-fired energy as DP unit UP 6954 trails the train westbound in the late afternoon sun.
(3 photos taken June 17, 2020.)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/20 01:35 by santafe199.

Date: 08/01/20 03:58
Re: Milo & coal & wind
Author: dpudave

Had to look up Milo. Pretty interesting. Thanks for the fine photos. d

Date: 08/01/20 04:33
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Those of us who grew up on a farm or working on a farm during the summer sure know what milo ( maize ) is though.

Date: 08/01/20 04:38
Author: texchief1

Nice post, Lance!

Randy L:undgren

Date: 08/01/20 05:29
Author: gbmott

Back in my FW&D days milo for export through Houston/Galveston was huge business.  I suppose it still is.

Gordon

Date: 08/01/20 06:29
Author: bmarti7

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>        Those of us who grew up on a farm or
> working on a farm during the summer sure know what
> milo ( maize ) is though.

Another name for milo is sorghum. Whatever you call it I know the quail in northeast Kansas loved it. My dad and I would look for hedge rows adjacent to cut milo fields and hunt quail there (with landowner's permission of course)

Bismarck Bill

Date: 08/01/20 07:17
Author: tomstp

It will also become dove hunting heaven in September.

Date: 08/01/20 08:04
Author: BruceStikkers

I am habitat chairman for our local Pheasants Forever chapter and we give milo/sorghum away for people to plant for wildlife food plots. Many types of wildlife like it and around here it is all corn and soybeans so this provides something different.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0323 seconds