Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Union Pacific's "Sharp Subdivision"in Utah

Date: 08/02/20 10:35
Union Pacific's "Sharp Subdivision"in Utah
Author: Gerrypaul

A friend has reported seeing an eastbound manifest (really northbound) a few days ago rolling near Nephi, Utah. This would be, I think, what U.P.  calls, or used to call, its "Sharp Subdivision". This is on the stretch extending from Lynndyl to the west to Springville to the east. 

I am barely aware of any traffic on this line. He made it sound as though it was a regular manifest, coming up from LA somewhere (West Colton?) and headed to Provo or Ogden ( or beyond?) . 

Did he observe an oddball that was being diverted off the LA -- Las Vegas--Salt Lake City main line? or, was this a regular occurrence? Is there some sort of regular freight operating on this stretch of track? If there is, can anyone fill in some specifics? Symbol? Daily? About what time would it arrive at Lynndyl? (I assume the eastbound would be a crew from Milford, yes?). 

I hope some reader can please provide some information. 

Thank you much!

--Gerrypaul

Date: 08/02/20 13:59
Re: Union Pacific's "Sharp Subdivision"in Utah
Author: ble692

The MWCNP 30 was rerouted on to the Sharp Sub at Lynndyl and then on to the Provo Sub at Provo for the trip to Salk Lake City. Don't know why this occurred, but it's not a normal occurrence that I am aware of.

Date: 08/02/20 14:13
Author: DGOLDE

There is regular traffic on UP's Sharp Subdivision in Utah.  Every other year or so NPRHA convention tht I go to every year except this which has been cancelled because of COVID-19 is in the eastern part of the N.P. and I drive to this convention on the 15 to Montana where I go east.  I always leave my house so that I arrive in the Nephi area a few hours before sunrise.  I have a favorite place north of Nephi and the Starr siding next to the tracks at MP 727 where I wait for trains in the morning.  Almost every time I catch a north or south bound freight train at this location or a location closer to Nephi.  Most of the time the train is a coal train.  If the train is south bound it will be loaded.  There is also a south bound local on some mornings.  On the way home from the convention on the last night of my trip I stay in Nehpi so that in the morning I cn hopefully catch at train on the U.P.   There is also a good place to eat in Nephi on S. Main St. (the main street in the town) called Lisa's County Kitchen where I always have breakfast in the morning going north or south.  Lisa's has been my favorite breakfast for years.

Attached is photo of a southbound U. P. loaded coal train X7662 with DPU taken at MP 727 at 10:16 in the morning on 9-26-17.  The grade is 1% at this location and the photo is a downhill in full dynamics. Note that there are scanners both north and south of MP 727 to alert you a train is coming.  Last thing to note if you find this location and a train comes be sure to check you meter reading.  The gold colored grass in the fore and back ground can cause a under exposure reading on you camera's meter. 

Date: 08/02/20 21:42
Author: Utah5005

The Sharp sub sees a few manifest a week on it. Most of the time it’s the MWCOG that is sent up it. Some of those times it ya work in Provo or Roper. The MWCNP has been sent up the Sharp sub more times this year then it has in years past and I’m not sure why. In the last year UP has sent more westbound manifest down the Sharp sub then I have witnessed in the last several years.

Sadly the Sharp is busier at night as of late then during the day.

Spencer Peterson
Payson, UT

Date: 08/02/20 22:07
Author: ble692

I no longer see any MWCOG in the computer. Just the MWCNP and MWCNPB. They are still running the MOGWC though. Of course that all could change tomorrow.

I do see mention of large non-fitting trains. I wonder if this is done on an as needed basis when there are multiple non-fitters out there that would otherwise result in a large delay to one of the trains?

Date: 08/03/20 03:00
Author: ats90mph

I've been wondering about the Sharp Sub's future after the Intermountain Power Plant stops receiving coal in the next few years. My understanding is that the coal deliveries are its main purpose... 

Date: 08/03/20 08:49
Author: callum_out

Not only deliveries but it does serve an on-line loading facility at Sharp.

Out 

Date: 08/03/20 22:17
Author: CaliforniaSteam

ble692 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I no longer see any MWCOG in the computer. Just
> the MWCNP and MWCNPB. They are still running the
> MOGWC though. Of course that all could change
> tomorrow.
>
> I do see mention of large non-fitting trains. I
> wonder if this is done on an as needed basis when
> there are multiple non-fitters out there that
> would otherwise result in a large delay to one of
> the trains?

The MWCOG is now the MWCNPB with work in Ogden.

CS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0475 seconds