Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Columbia and Cowlitz update: crossings deactivated

Date: 08/06/20 20:56
Columbia and Cowlitz update: crossings deactivated
Author: OrionRail

While out shopping today, I discovered that all of the signalized grade crossings on the out-of-service/soon-to-be-abandoned portion of the Columbia and Cowlitz Railway in Longview, WA have been deactivated. The lights and gates have been removed, crossbucks replaced with “Tracks Out of Service” signs, and the relay cases have been switched off and the electric meters removed.

It has been three years since C&C owner Patriot Rail filed to abandon this once-busy logging line. I am unsure of what the current state of that is, but it sure looks like the rails will be coming up rather soon.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/06/20 21:08
Re: Columbia and Cowlitz update: crossings deactivated
Author: TCnR

In better days...
They had picked up a cut of log cars at the BN and we followed them over to the mill area.

https://pbase.com/clivew/longview_loggers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/20 21:11 by TCnR.

Date: 08/06/20 23:51
Author: E25

Nice coverage of the C&C operations on your Webpage, Clive.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 08/07/20 17:10
Author: GN599

E25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice coverage of the C&C operations on your
> Webpage, Clive.

I'll second that! I was working out of Vancouver when Patriot took over and remember seeing the classic yellow EMD's in a train being sent East. I had a feeling this would be the outcome after Patriot threw in the towel. 

Date: 08/08/20 20:32
Author: Q-GP30

702 at its current home Burlington Junction Railway, Quincy IL

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/11/20 02:32
Author: ClubCar

It appears that it's the gates that are not working as the crossing flashing lights are clearly working in your video.
John

Date: 08/11/20 19:30
Author: BoostedFridge

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It appears that it's the gates that are not
> working as the crossing flashing lights are
> clearly working in your video.
> John

The title of the thread refers to the OP's subject about the crossings being deactivated on the Columbia and Cowlitz RR in Longview, WA.  The post containing the video is simply showing an ex-C&C locomotive at work at its new home in Illinois.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds