Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Caboose 25730 scrapped at Council Bluffs

Date: 08/13/20 15:12
UP Caboose 25730 scrapped at Council Bluffs
Author: donstrack

The most recent issue of The Mixed Train from Omaha's Camerail Club reports that July 16, 2020, UP caboose 25730 was scrapped on the site of its long term storage (since 1998) in Council Bluffs.

These three views lifted from Google and from Google Earth show three cabooses on an isolated track in Council Bluffs, a bit northeast of Bartlett Grain South, near 24th Ave. Along with 18 rail cars, a passenger car, a former CRI&P caboose in UP colors, and a former MP short-body caboose, there is a UP center cupola car that might be UP 25730.

Can anyone in the area confirm this?

Don Strack

Date: 08/13/20 17:18
Re: UP Caboose 25730 scrapped at Council Bluffs
Author: tomstp

Can not see any connection to that track.  If that is correct I would assume one day all will be gone.

Date: 08/13/20 18:20
Author: trainjunkie

What a shame. The CA10s were the newest of the cupola cabooses on UP. They were great cars with an outstanding ride. I hate to see them get cut up.

Date: 08/13/20 19:03
Author: shortlineboss

History of the other equipment?
Ownership?

Mike Root
Madras, OR

Date: 08/13/20 19:57
Author: 57A26

Up by Bartlett's north elevator there was a UP caboose with a banged up platform on one end.  It's been there by itself for years.  My last trip past there about a week ago I noticed it was gone.  I don't know the number of it.

Date: 08/14/20 03:40

57A26 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Up by Bartlett's north elevator there was a UP
> caboose with a banged up platform on one end. 
> It's been there by itself for years.  My last
> trip past there about a week ago I noticed it was
> gone.  I don't know the number of it.

That's the caboose in the report, UP 25730. The number is visible from Google street view. I was wrong about it being one of the cabooses in my original message.

It seems a bit strange that there are those three cabooses, and the other rail cars, all in bad shape, sitting on an isolated piece of track.

Don Strack

Date: 08/14/20 05:45
Author: WLE2679

I have been thru that area twice....is that the BNSF line by the elevator that I saw KCS grain train at?   Next time that we head that way wanted to stop...looked like the BNSF line went right pass a mall with a diamond crossing on the other side on the freeway and a BNSF train was going past at good speed. 

Date: 08/14/20 07:25
Author: tracklight

donstrack Wrote:
> It seems a bit strange that there are those three
> cabooses, and the other rail cars, all in bad
> shape, sitting on an isolated piece of track.

It's not an isolated piece of track; its just a fenceline made from discarded railcars.  The cars appeared there between 2008 and 2009 going by aerial photography.

Date: 08/14/20 07:57

tracklight Wrote:
> It's not an isolated piece of track; its just a
> fenceline made from discarded railcars.  The cars
> appeared there between 2008 and 2009 going by
> aerial photography.

Makes sense. It does look more like a fence than an abandoned rail spur.

Date: 08/15/20 10:36
Author: pbouzide

I moved away from the area three and a half years ago but am unsurprised at all of the isolated track as the large multiple-year possibly-still-incomplete I-80/I-29 reconfiguration also resulted in a major reconfig for the BNSF Council Bluffs line leading toward Milepost 0. And away from the Barllett Grain elevator which I'm sure tetains rail access but I'm not sure from which direction now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds