Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Stuck in Lodi (Almost)

Date: 08/13/20 19:56
Stuck in Lodi (Almost)
Author: chakk

A  Lodi, California police officer saved the life of a 66-year-old man whose wheelchair had one of its wheels jammed
in a grade crossing.  She stopped her police vehicle, ran to the crossing, and pulled the man out of his 
wheelchair just as the UP freight train, traveling at track speed, reached the crossing.

Footage from the officer's body cam shows the entire terrifying incident and was played this evening
on national newscasts.

Date: 08/13/20 19:58
Re: Stuck in Lodi (Almost)
Author: Coalca

Date: 08/13/20 21:53
Author: bearease

Watching the footage earlier tonight, it didn't look like the train was slowing after the impact with the wheel chair. I also didn't hear them dump the air.
Obviously, it takes a lot longer than the duration of that clip for a train to stop, especially at that speed.
Anyone know if the train did indeed stop? Or maybe they didn't know they hit the chair?

Date: 08/13/20 22:08
Author: ts1457

bearease Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Watching the footage earlier tonight, it didn't
> look like the train was slowing after the impact
> with the wheel chair. I also didn't hear them dump
> the air.
> Obviously, it takes a lot longer than the duration
> of that clip for a train to stop, especially at
> that speed.
> Anyone know if the train did indeed stop? Or maybe
> they didn't know they hit the chair?

See post by Valleyman in the earlier thread with link above.

The train did stop and was put into emergency prior to impact (probably before the clip started) and did stop. I think by the end of the clip the train was starting to slow. The actions of the crew probably gained the couple of seconds which the brave officer needed to make the rescue.

I am wondering about the injuries to the handicapped man. The video was blurred, but the positioning of the victim looks like the train may have got his foot.  I hope the officer is OK.

Date: 08/14/20 19:45
Author: uprrman156

I can't belp but think this after watching the clip 4 or 5 times. I almost think the man wanted to die. It almost looks like he was pushing the officer away even when she was trying to pull him back while on the ground. Hate to say that but that is my take. Also there is no reason at that crossing why he would be at an odd angle he was at

Date: 08/15/20 14:23
Author: DocJones

uprrman156 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't belp but think this after watching the
> clip 4 or 5 times. I almost think the man wanted
> to die. It almost looks like he was pushing the
> officer away even when she was trying to pull him
> back while on the ground. Hate to say that but
> that is my take. Also there is no reason at that
> crossing why he would be at an odd angle he was
> at
>
That's what I saw.  Honors to the brave officer who risked her life to save him. He just as well could have pulled down onto the tracks. Adrenaline does amazing things. 
Have fun, be safe,
Bruce "Doc" Jones Sierra Madre CA  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds