Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Detoured 5 and 6 and BNSF under skylights

Date: 08/13/20 22:46
Detoured 5 and 6 and BNSF under skylights
Author: highgreengraphics

Yesterday's Amtrak Nos. 6 and 5 were routed on UP across Wyoming after the Glenwood Canyon fire closure on their usual ex-DRGW/SP route. Photo 1 - No. 6 exits Hermosa Tunnel on Sherman Hill under totally wrong sunshine, but the sun was diffused from smoke from the distant forest fires. Photo 2 - Departing Speer, WY and beginning down the ex-DP Greeley Sub Denver Main, with the old steam-era Track 3 water tank behind it. Beneath the baggage car can be seen the original Colorado Central grade, and above the baggage car is an antelope surveying the scene on the horizon line. Photo 3 - A southbound Cheyenne-Denver manifest has had to stop at Speer Junction to let both 5 and 6 pass, which met at Carr, CO, and the vacant old Signal Maintainers house can be seen in the background, and the bridge over BNSF's ex-C&S is under Amtrak. There's moooore...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/20 23:10 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 08/13/20 22:53
Re: Detored 5 and 6 and BNSF under skylights
Author: highgreengraphics

Photo 4 - Amtrak No. 6 is just clearing Speer Junction. Photo 5 - After meeting No. 6 at Carr, CO, Amtrak No. 5 approaches Speer Junction having passed beneath Interstate 25 in weird light. Photo 6 - Just after the Denver-bound manifest left Speer behind, BNSF showed up with a Denver-Laurel(MT) manifest under the bridge and impressive afternoon skylights. Happy detour railfanning! === === = === JLH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/20 23:04 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 08/14/20 06:16
Re: Detored 5 and 6 and BNSF under skylights
Author: skyview

Good effort to get Amtrak in WY.  I was thinking of going, but youdid it!  Nice to see your shots.

Date: 08/14/20 08:56
Re: Detoured 5 and 6 and BNSF under skylights
Author: broken_link

Great series of the detours. I've been up around Donner Summit since Sunday, and the fire has delayed #5 to the point that I can get afternoon shots of it in good light.

Sean

Date: 08/14/20 16:38
Author: koloradokid

Some actual times might have told me how I missed them, too early or too late, hmmmm?

Robert

Date: 08/14/20 17:15
Author: SD45X

Sweet!

Date: 08/14/20 18:56
Author: bmarti7

Great series with some awesome angles of the BIG WYO.

Bismarck Bill

Date: 08/14/20 21:55
Author: mojaveflyer

Great shots and the BNSF shot is stellar!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 08/15/20 08:32
Author: texchief1

Great shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 08/15/20 11:45
Author: wzd

Great photos - thanks for posting.
On these detours, do they tend to run late or close to on time, given the shorter running time between Denver and Salt Lake?

Thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds