Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > today's Saugus Local...

Date: 08/14/20 22:29
today's Saugus Local...
Author: Fizzboy7

Had a fun encounter with the Saugus local this morning, on my way to a doc's appointment.   Railroad Ave., Saugus, CA... saw the train headed south, just south of the "Four Corners."   I was behind, also headed south, but could not catch up to the power.   The speed limit on Railroad Ave. is 50, and the train was going a few ticks above that.   A bit surprising for this stretch of track in suburbia.    Finally, near 13th St. in Newhall, I caught up.   Engineer turned on the bell and gave a few toots, with lead ex-SP GP40P-2 (UP 1373) in charge.   A historical EMD, still earning her keep in CA.    No caboose on this job, so I guess the infamous 4712 bay window is taking a rest.

This local is one of the last holdouts of forner SP power and operations, I was really glad to have caught it.   Sorry, no photos while in the driver's seat.   

Jason Eminian
Smith Brothers Hobby Center

Date: 08/15/20 07:03
Re: today's Saugus Local...
Author: cpkester

A few items. Friday's Mighty Saugus left Gemco with 4 loads, no empties (no shoving platform or buffer empty), 540 tons. Earlier in the week the outbound had a trespasser strike at Sheldon Street/Avenue. The following day it went out at 4:30 p.m. and got back to the yard after Amtrak 796. As you say, a last remnant of another era.

++++====> J|/\/\

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0812 seconds