Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Hannibal Subdivision Questions

Date: 09/07/20 06:39
BNSF Hannibal Subdivision Questions
Author: PRR_4859

Good Morning:

While watching the Fort Madison Railcam this morning (about 8:00 CDT) there was a NS grain train (with what appeared to be the Wabash heritage unit as the second engine) heading south on the BNSF Hannibal Subdivision. Would this likely be a haulage train for NS from Des Moines? I could not remember if BNSF or Iowa Interstate handles the Des Moines traffic for NS. Would this train have to go through to St Louis to reach NS rails?

Also, any ideas as to how many trains per day now travel the Hannibal Subdivision and what the symbols are? I read a couple years ago it was 3 to 5 each way. Any mixed freights that use this line?

Lastly, does this line have CTC or is it dark territory?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 09/07/20 06:42
Re: BNSF Hannibal Subdivision Questions
Author: Spoony81

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good Morning:
>
> While watching the Fort Madison Railcam this
> morning (about 8:00 CDT) there was a NS grain
> train (with what appeared to be the Wabash
> heritage unit as the second engine) heading south
> on the BNSF Hannibal Subdivision. Would this
> likely be a haulage train for NS from Des Moines?
> I could not remember if BNSF or Iowa Interstate
> handles the Des Moines traffic for NS. Would this
> train have to go through to St Louis to reach NS
> rails?
>
> Also, any ideas as to how many trains per day now
> travel the Hannibal Subdivision and what the
> symbols are? I read a couple years ago it was 3
> to 5 each way. Any mixed freights that use this
> line?
>
> Lastly, does this line have CTC or is it dark
> territory?
>
> Thank you in advance.

It can get on NS at Hannibal. Mostly coal trains on the K Line (Hannibal Sub) these days. It’s also dark territory from West Quincy to Burlington, IA I believe

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/20 06:43 by Spoony81.

Date: 09/07/20 08:27
Author: Q-GP30

This was most likely a unit grain train from Pleasant Hill Iowa ( just outside Des Moines) to St. Louis. I have handled several of these on the K-Line. They do not go to Hannibal. Most haulage traffic from Des Moines goes to North St. Louis and is taken to NS Luther Yard there. About the only thing interchanged at Hannibal is the traffic from Quincy IL ( mostly ADM traffic) that harks back to the time N&W had their own line to Quincy, then the “Hawkeye” local that NS ran up the K-line to Quincy.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/07/20 08:37

If you talking the north end (West Quincy to Burlington) or K-line as a whole? North end is mostly coal , two locals -WQ to Keokuk and now WQ to Wever, the Des Moines trains WQMDMO/DMOWQM and occasional grain trains. South end (WQ to St. Louis) also has three locals-WQ to South River/Hannibal, WQ to Cosgrove (Louisiana ) and WQ to North St. Louis, General freights are Galesburg to Memphis(GALMEM), Galesburg to Tulsa (GALTUL), cement trains out of Lindenwood north to Galesburg/ Des Moines as needed and grain/fertilizer trains to and from North St. Louis. Lots of traffic plus Brookfield Sub trains on K-line from WQ to Mark.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/07/20 08:48
Author: Spoony81

Q-GP30 Wrote:
> If you talking the north end (West Quincy to
> Burlington) or K-line as a whole? North end is
> mostly coal , two locals -WQ to Keokuk and now WQ
> to Wever, the Des Moines trains WQMDMO/DMOWQM and
> occasional grain trains. South end (WQ to St.
> Louis) also has three locals-WQ to South
> River/Hannibal, WQ to Cosgrove (Louisiana ) and WQ
> to North St. Louis, General freights are Galesburg
> to Memphis(GALMEM), Galesburg to Tulsa (GALTUL),
> cement trains out of Lindenwood north to
> Galesburg/ Des Moines as needed and
> grain/fertilizer trains to and from North St.
> Louis. Lots of traffic plus Brookfield Sub trains
> on K-line from WQ to Mark.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Sorry I was referring to the north end. I should’ve clarified

Date: 09/07/20 10:07
Author: AndyBrown

Yes the train with the Wabash unit loaded at Pleasant Hill and went down the BN.  But interestingly enough there was also an NS train off the IAIS in Des Moines at the same time.  I don't know what determines which route the trains take.  Been getting a lot over the IAIS the last several weeks.  Common to have 2 trains on line (IAIS) at the same time.

I wish I could answer your question definitively but from what I've seen of the K-line north of Keokuk I believe it's dark territory.

Andy

Date: 09/07/20 11:03
Author: SCAX3401

AndyBrown Wrote:
> I wish I could answer your question definitively
> but from what I've seen of the K-line north of
> Keokuk I believe it's dark territory.
>
> Andy

The Hannibal Sub or K-Line is CTC controlled from West Quincy west (directionally south) to Saint Louis and its Track Warrant Control with no signalling east (directionally north) from West Quincy to Burlington.  There is Restricted Limits thru Keokuk itself and for the last mile or so into Burlington.

Date: 09/07/20 13:11

K-line from West Quincy to Burlington is dark territory with TWC. Yard limits were abolished at Keokuk now allowing 25 mph thru town. KJRY now has to get Track warrant to cross the BNSF at Keokuk to leave town.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/20 13:15 by Q-GP30.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0609 seconds