Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > San Joaquin & Eastern caboose status?

Date: 09/15/20 11:20
San Joaquin & Eastern caboose status?
Author: TS735

We’ve all watched the sickening loss of forests, property and lives from the wild fires out west. I’ve wondered if anybody can report whether or not the beautifuly restored SJ&E caboose at Shaver Lake, California survived? It is/was located at the Central Sierra Historical Society museum at Shaver Lake. Any updates would be greatly appreciated. 

Photo 1 is pulled from rypn.org and shows the caboose arriving on museum property.
photo 2 is pulled from sierranevadageotourism.org and shows it after restoration.

Ryan Barber
Stockton, CA

Date: 09/15/20 11:22
Re: San Joaquin & Eastern caboose status?
Author: callum_out

Neat car, "Slow. Jerky and Expensive".

Out 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/20 13:46 by callum_out.

Date: 09/15/20 13:34
Author: RRBMail

After a lifetime of railroading still did not know that there was any SJ&E rolling stock left. I hope it made it thru the fires. Any more pieces of SJ&E stock still around? 

Date: 09/15/20 14:07
Author: mapboy

I tried to send them this- "Did Camp Edison get thru the fire without major damage?  Did the San Joaquin & Eastern caboose survive the fire?  Thanks!"   Here-  https://sierrahistorical.org/  but it wouldn't go thru, said Invalid reCaptcha token. Please refresh the page and try again. 

Edit: Anyone else want to try?

mapboy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/20 14:08 by mapboy.

Date: 09/15/20 14:23
Author: trainjunkie

It appears that the fire footprint stopped at the west edge of Highway 168 and the museum is east of the highway. I hope the fire footprint shown here is accurate.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.12068,-119.3113&z=16&b=mbt&a=fire%2Cmodis_mp

Date: 09/15/20 14:27
Author: 2-10-2

SCE is not reporting damage to Camp Edison at this time, I do know that the small town of Big Creek (past Shaver Lake/Camp Edison) was impacted and there's significant inspection activity underway at SCE's hydro facilities up and down the canyon.

Date: 09/15/20 17:22
Author: TS735

RRBaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any more pieces of SJ&E
> stock still around? 

Incredibly this is one of 3 SJ&E caboose carbodies that are reported to still exist. Aside from this one, there is one that is with another historical society and one reported to still be at a private residence in Clovis, California.

Ryan Barber
Stockton, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/20 17:23 by TS735.

Date: 09/15/20 19:10
Author: spsunset

Worked fine ,but no fire information that I saw.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds