Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > That low winter sun!

Date: 09/24/20 10:13
That low winter sun!
Author: santafe199

Summer is gone, fall is here and ol’ man winter will soon be knocking on the door. It’s an inescapable cycle we photographers just have to live with. Being ever-optimistic I always try to find a reason to shoot no matter what challenges the current season is bringing. For example, this shot was taken on the official first day of winter. I don’t remember how cold it was. I may have had my special convertible, but still awkward mittens on. That’s the down side. The up side is that low golden sun gave me some great light I could never match in the summertime.

This image is actually recycled from a thread I posted 8 years ago. But I kinda like it. If they ever ask me to give an image presentation on how flat Kansas is, I’ll be sure to include this one… ;^)

1. BNSF 5167 is westbound with a stacker at the very east end of the 7 mile long grade separation between this spot & Ridgeton, KS. This “main #1” is the original construction which I believe was completed in early 1884. I don’t know when the second main was constructed, but it has a much gentler grade between the same 2 points. Taken from the KS hwy 31 overpass in Melvern, KS @ 3:29 PM on December 21, 2012.

Thanks for looking… again!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

count-down to norman ah bates

Date: 09/24/20 10:38
Re: That low winter sun!
Author: King_Coal

Glad they put that grade crossing sign up there so people don't jump off the mountain onto passing trains.

Nice photo!

Date: 09/24/20 10:55

King_Coal Wrote: > ... so people don't jump off the mountain ...

(chuckling) Yeah, I guess so. That little park area was actually a pretty nice gesture from the good folks of Melvern. Just out of frame to the left is an old UP 24-something caboose they had hauled in. I'm sure they would rather have had a Santa Fe waycar, but couldn't find one. That whole little area is RR themed & railfan friendly. The little "cage" you can see was meant to be an observation point for fans, getting them almost literally right on top of the action...

Lance 

Date: 09/24/20 11:18
Author: gcm

Great shot - like the old bridge.
Gary

Date: 09/24/20 11:40
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and interesting look back!

Larry

Date: 09/24/20 13:45
Author: robj

Great location and like the shadows creeping in.

Bob

Date: 09/24/20 19:06
Author: jgilmore

Not only is it fabulous light, but the framing and composition are great! Is this what driving trains does for you? 🤣

Posted from Android

Date: 09/24/20 19:36

jgilmore Wrote: > ... Is this what driving trains does for you? 🤣

Nahhh.... that came much later. I think what helped was when I defied all dire predictions and actually paid attention to my 11th grade Design, Drawing & Composition teacher...

;^)

Date: 09/25/20 09:07
Author: ntharalson

A couple of things to add:  That former UP caboose has been repainted Santa Fe with no number.  I cannot tell you the number of time I have stood on the bridge in the background waiting for a train, hopefully an eastbound.  I'm still waiting although I have gotten a couple of westbounds off that bridge.  It's really nice because it's closed to traffic! 

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0701 seconds