Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Shade Tree Books

Date: 09/24/20 11:26
Shade Tree Books
Author: NorCalSU_Conductor

Has Shade Tree Books closed its business?  If so how long ago?  I attempted to open their web page and got the page does not exist or is unavailable.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Jonathan

Jonathan Esposito
Sacramento, CA

Date: 09/24/20 12:21
Re: Shade Tree Books
Author: up833

My Google sez 1977-2018
RB

Date: 09/24/20 13:10
Author: wpamtk

I talked to Joe Strapac at Winterail 2018 and he said he wasn't going to do any more books unless he was contracted to do so by other entities. He did write Northwestern Pacific Locomotives in 2019, but it was actually published by the NWP Historical Society. He had previously started a series of books called California's Locomotives; Volume 1 was steam and Volume 2 was Alco and GE diesels. Volume 3 was supposed to be Baldwins and EMDs, but he said he wasn't going to do it after all because Volume 2 had sold so poorly. I think at this point he would just like to enjoy retirement. 

Date: 09/24/20 13:46
Author: usmc1401

Yes Joe is winding down his book business. He has more or less done it all. SP, PE, DRGW, WP and some others. No new material to publish on these roads. Some books could be freshened up but no real demand. Joe enjoy the next thirty years.

Date: 09/24/20 14:18
Author: callum_out

There are several rail publishers who develop and promote in total stealth, it takes advanced search techniques to
discover what they are doing. Great marketing guys.

Out 

Date: 09/24/20 14:18
Author: TheApostleGreen

How old is Mr. Strapac now?  I recall seeing his name on Espee books in the mid 1970's when I was but a snot nosed grade schooler. 

~Joe P.
Hainesville, IL

Date: 09/24/20 14:22
Author: WAF

Think late 70s

Date: 09/24/20 19:45
Author: kilroydiver

Joe is indeed enjoying retirement and is very much active at the Southern Pacific Historical & Technical. Society archive in Upland, CA.  He still owns Shade Tree Books, but isn't doing anymore new book titles.

Dave

Date: 09/24/20 23:04
Author: santafesteve

Give Railmaster Hobbies in Bellflower Ca. a call at 562-867-5627 in the afternoon and Jeff Smith the owner, can get for you just about anything that Shade Tree Books has left to sell.

Date: 09/25/20 08:38
Author: NorCalSU_Conductor

I appreciate all of your information. Thank you for all your help.

Posted from Android

Jonathan Esposito
Sacramento, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds