Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Hard Work Pays Off

Date: 10/09/20 01:38
Hard Work Pays Off
Author: funnelfan

I spent about a hour trying to open up this shot of the bridge over the Flathead River at Coram, MT. Had to bushwhack, and then remove dead branches from trees using a rope and a tree branch made into a grappling hook. There was a steep drop to the river below, so I had to use the rope and branch to reach those dead branches hanging out into space. Once I got a branch locked onto a branch, a quick yank on the rope broke off the branches at the tree trunk. Finished in time to catch a westbound Z train in perfect light on October 6th, 2020.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/09/20 03:36
Re: Hard Work Pays Off
Author: exhaustED

Sterling effort, Ted, lovely shot.

I sometimes find myself waging war on vegetation to allow that shot that I want... Sweating, exhausted and panting heavily, I stand there thinking, 'I must be mad'...! Glad i'm not the only one!!
It never stops growing.... ;-)

Date: 10/09/20 04:07
Author: march_hare

Thanks!  I haven't shot there in years, due to its getting grown in. 

Date: 10/09/20 04:33
Author: wabash2800

That's a great photo Ted.

Rope can come in handy. I once had to photograph a tombstone for a book I'm working on. But the problem was that branches from a tree near the tombstone were hanging over the tombstone. I had some rope in the car trunk, so I tied up the branches so that they were pulled away from the tombstone long enough to take the photo. A few years later I had to take the photo again because a burglar stole my computer and this was one of the images that I hadn't backed up. Fortunately, this time the cemetary had got their act together and had cleaned up the cemetary overgrowth. The tombstone was that of a railroader who was killed in a link-and-pin accident.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 10/09/20 06:07
Author: 3rdswitch

Really nice.
JB

Date: 10/09/20 07:56
Author: tomstp

Your pictures have always been interesting and good.  Now I know how dedicated you are to get "that shot".

Date: 10/09/20 08:39
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE result from your hard work.

Larry

Date: 10/09/20 08:40
Author: DynamicBrake

Superb photo Ted.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 10/09/20 08:43
Author: alally8444

There's a spot I know of that I've always figured would make a great picture if it weren't for some trees in the way. Now you've got me thinking...

Date: 10/09/20 09:50
Author: spider1319

As always excellent work.Thanks.Bill Webb

Date: 10/09/20 13:24
Author: photobob

Worth all the work. Nice shot.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 10/09/20 15:00
Author: tracklight

Awesome story, have never thought of that before...

Date: 10/11/20 16:16
Author: ns1000

Great pic!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds