Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > This Hobby is Weird

Date: 10/17/20 20:29
This Hobby is Weird
Author: mg8711

Maybe you disagree, but you can't deny that sometimes this hobby comes in a rhythm like no other, or perhaps JUST like others. You go out, mind set on shooting something, and you do, but this happens, or that happens, and you end up with 100 miles of driving and nowhere near where you thought you'd be, sometimes you even get your favorite shot of the day, and it's the furthest thing from the subject you were out after anyways. A railfan outing today, a pursuit of UP 2001, one of the Olympic SD70Ms was met with some marginal success, which led to only shooting it once, which led to an attempt at an early drive home, which led to radio intel that the day wasn't as done as I had thought, which led to my favorite shot of the day, the second one of this thread.

1) UP 1141 leads train MTPTP-17 west, approaching Wamego, Kansas, if Kansas was flat, my intended subject matter of the day would possible be visible with binoculars some 20 miles to the northeast.
2) The little train trails off into a cloudy, smoky, dusty sunset.

Images taken October 17th, 2020
Thanks for looking!
mg8711

Date: 10/17/20 20:34
Re: This Hobby is Weird
Author: pdt

nice.

Every once in a long while I'll take a trailing shot just for the helluvit, and it turns out to have a really nice flavor.

Date: 10/17/20 20:36
Author: santafe199

Your second shot is killer! Your first shot was taken probably milliseconds after my "pure grab" shot in the thread below. Wow... we shoulda bought a few lotto tickets...

:^)

Date: 10/17/20 20:37
Author: SPgoletablock

-Yes very interesting hobby we have, some of the time satisfying most of the time frustrating.I will concur that second unplanned shot is a winner.

Date: 10/17/20 23:02
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series, like your second shot!

Larry

Date: 10/18/20 05:55
Author: milepost180

If a friend asks about railfanning, I say it kind of like fishing.

Date: 10/18/20 09:29
Author: gandydancer4

The second shot reminds me of the movie "Forrest Gump". In the film, Gump tells Jennie of all of all the things he saw when he was in his running "phase". Jenny responds with "I wish I could have been there with you". Gump says "You were, Jenny". Thanks for taking us all along with you.   ×   

Date: 10/18/20 09:48
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 10/18/20 10:06
Author: Trainman41

That first picture is nice,  but the second picture is dramatic   Great shot !

Date: 10/18/20 12:07
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Love the 2nd shot!

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 10/18/20 18:12
Author: bobk

Great shots, especially the second.

Date: 10/18/20 21:30
Author: dwatry

Agree shot #2 is a classic!

Date: 10/19/20 15:32
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 10/19/20 16:22
Author: callum_out

Cell phones man, the plan wrecker of all time. The "hey guess what's just going by?" from a 100 miles away,
worst thing ever to happen to a plan.

Out 

Date: 10/19/20 16:54
Author: SD45X

Sweet!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0737 seconds