Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > EMD Tier4 on MWCEW and YWC86 (SoCal)

Date: 10/23/20 18:26
EMD Tier4 on MWCEW and YWC86 (SoCal)
Author: cchan006

I did a quick SoCal visit earlier this month.

It was on a Sunday that a MWCEW (West Colton to Englewood Yard, Texas, near Houston) with UP 3053 leader was departing West Colton while I was catching up with a friend at Pepper Ave - he provided me with the symbol. EMD Tier 4s (SD70AH-T4) have lost some of the novelty, as most of them are no longer brand new, and catching one as a leader is easier now.

I chased it anyway, as it is still rare in my neck of the woods, Northern California.

I got it departing West Colton (at Pepper Ave. overpass) in the first clip. I continued to chat with the friend after that, knowing that I had plenty of time to catch up (PSR speed). I then headed to the Centennial Memorial Bridge near Beaumont with plenty of time to spare, and documented the entire train, second clip.

I used a "gentler" time lapse to make the video fit under 6 minutes. While the impatient might not be pleased, the video should be easier on the ears (more realistic sound) and the eyes (not too frantic). I "zoom cheat" on the end to show the entire train without all of it passing past me.

- Some fallen flag covered hoppers on this train, CNW 178022 and WP 12028.
- Set of power with a 52xx SD70M was shuffling around at West Colton.
- Video of UP 3053 leading the MWCEW.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/23/20 18:41
Re: EMD Tier4 on MWCEW and YWC86 (SoCal)

I was killing time before heading to the airport the next day (Monday), and watched a short train led by UP 3035 head east through Pepper Ave., already on Main 2.

While 3053 and 3035 are simply unique numbers at face value, some people might get a kick out of their "similarities" with the last 2 digits switched around.

In Charles Freericks' book, "Southern California Local Freight Trains 2015/2016," YWC86's nickname is the Old Colton Job. Indeed, UP 3035 headed to the Old Colton Yard to set out some cars. I caught the YWC86 returning from Beaumont last month, a job that used to be done by the YWC54 ("Lowes Local").

After the quick setout at Old Colton Yard, UP 3035 towed 2 boxcars east, probably to head to Lowe's Flatbed Distribution Facility at Beaumont. I was unable to chase that far since I had to catch a flight.

I documented as much as I could, and that's the video I'm posting here.

That's all folks.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/24/20 09:35
Author: PasadenaSub

Nice pictures and video, Charles.  What did you use to get elevation for the video at Old Colton?  I know the 215 Freeway crosses over the Yuma Sub, but that's a bit to the east.

Rich

Date: 10/24/20 09:44
Author: alcoc636

The Mt. Vernon Ave. overpass at the east end of the Old Colton Yard.

Tim Dickinson
La Verne, CA

Date: 10/24/20 11:18

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice pictures and video, Charles.  What did you
> use to get elevation for the video at Old
> Colton?  I know the 215 Freeway crosses over the
> Yuma Sub, but that's a bit to the east.
>
> Rich

Thanks, and as alcoc636 said above, I used the abutment for the Mt. Vernon Ave. overpass to get the elevation.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds