Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Chasing the BNSF Parachute Local

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/26/20 13:38
Chasing the BNSF Parachute Local
Author: SP8595

Providing about the only variety out of Grand Jct. lately has been the BNSF Parachute Local and unfortunately I haven't made much of an attempt to shoot it:{  It had been running with a trio of four-axle GP types but when I noticed last week that SD40-2 #1656 still in Burlington Northern Cascade Green paint was added, I thought that I should make more of an effort:} The local runs East out of Grand Jct. to Parachute on Mon-Wed-Fri and West to the refinery located a couple of miles out of town on Tue-Thur. 

Per recent Union Pacific changes to the Green River System Special Instructions, only four-axle power can be used on Industry tracks West of town (the reason for the GP's) so they have been setting the six-axle SD40-2 out near the Grand Jct. Amtrak Depot when they switch.
On the days that the local runs East, it gets an early start out of GJ and then will switch the BNSF yard at Parachute and also head up the Parachute Industrial lead to switch the Solvay Soda Ash plant before heading back West to GJ.

All pictures taken on Monday, October 19th.

1) I was in position just West of Grand Valley siding (which is located at Parachute) to catch the local heading East and missed getting it in Sunlight by "that much":{ On the East end is GP39M #2828 which besides the "Winnebago" air conditioners on top of the cab still looks like a typical GP30.

2) Following right behind the BNSF local was the Union Pacific Minturn local that runs East to Gypsum on Monday and Wednesday. The UP local runs out to Lacy on Sun-Tue-Thur and will also run up the Parachute Industrial Lead on those days as well. Power for the UP local was a pair of SD70m's with 5 empty center beam flats. I was hoping for this kind of light with the BNSF!

30 After switching the yard, the BNSF local now heads up the Parachute Industrial Lead.
Usually the Local heads up the lead and runs around the cars at Solvay to run back down to the yard but today they shoved out of Solvay so no chance to get a shot of the #2828:{

---------------------------Five More Pictures Posted Below---------------------------------

Date: 10/26/20 13:38
Re: Chasing the BNSF Parachute Local

4) Finishing with switching at Parachute, the Local now heads West back towards Grand Jct. between Grand Valley and Una sidings.

5) I noticed that the local was lined into the siding at De Beque so I went West of town and thought that he was meeting Amtrak but it turned out to be the BNSF Provo to Denver trackage rights train.

6) After the meeting the Eastbound freight, BNSF #1656 departs out of the siding at De Beque.

------------------------------Two More Pictures Posted Below-----------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/20 13:43 by SP8595.

Date: 10/26/20 13:39

7) Rolling into Palisade where I once again noticed that it was lined into the siding.

8) This time it was meeting Amtrak! A one and a half hour late Eastbound California Zephyr (#6) with Veterans engine #42 leading!

Turned out to be a pretty good morning:}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/20 13:47 by SP8595.

Date: 10/26/20 14:00
Author: 3rdswitch

What a great chase! Some people have all the luck.
JB

Date: 10/26/20 14:03
Author: exhaustED

Shot #3 is calendar material. Stunning ilght and composition, with a green SD40-2 on the point!! I'd be very pleased indeed with that shot!

Date: 10/26/20 14:09
Author: SD45X

Awesome!

Date: 10/26/20 14:11
Author: callum_out

Just the normal incredible stuff! There's a green thing like that working one of the Barstow switch jobs, been a long time
since it was BN. 

Out 

Date: 10/26/20 14:47
Author: SCKP187

Nice chase.  Sure do like the standard cabs as well as the SD70Ms--#3 is an awesome shot.
Brian Stevens

Date: 10/26/20 14:54
Author: Roadrailer

Thank you for the chase and the pictures. That area of CO has such unique scenery and fairly sparce traffic so it's great to see something from there. 

Date: 10/26/20 16:01
Author: CNW8531

Great collection with perfect balance of lighting and scenery.  Oh, and did I mention some great power as well!!

Date: 10/26/20 16:13
Author: SPgoletablock

Very nice outing! #3 & #4 are Awesome!

Date: 10/26/20 16:19
Author: tomstp

What kind of industry is in Parachute that would use 3 yards as seen on Google maps, etc. ?  And why does BNSF have it instead of UP?

Date: 10/26/20 16:41
Author: spider1319

As always a great bunch.Thank you.Bill Webb

Date: 10/26/20 16:55
Author: pummer

Nice series and good info.!

Date: 10/26/20 17:02
Author: PHall

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of industry is in Parachute that would
> use 3 yards as seen on Google maps, etc. ?  And
> why does BNSF have it instead of UP?

Because BNSF will actually go after loose car traffic. UP could care less. BNSF is there because of trackage rights.

Date: 10/26/20 18:00
Author: jgilmore

SPgoletablock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice outing! #3 & #4 are Awesome!

Yes they are!!

JG

Date: 10/26/20 18:21
Author: TheNavigator

Great group!  Nice to see standard cabs on a manifest train.
GK

Date: 10/26/20 19:05
Author: Valleyman

Outstanding group of shots. Pays to know how to play in your backyard. 

Valleyman

Date: 10/26/20 19:13
Author: bobk

Fantastic shots!

Date: 10/26/20 19:44
Author: oyw

All very nice! Call me crazy, but I choose Amtrak as my favorite.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0881 seconds